PDA

View Full Version : Tire blowout...

Craig
07-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Its all good now, just a pain in rear last week when it happened. The road temp had to be in the 120's when it happened. No fender damage, just lost a running light.

This was the first tire I have ever shredded like this, I almost asked the guys at the tire shop if I could keep it.

A good reminder to keep a low-profile jack with you when you tow long distance, too.

Jerseydave
07-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Wow, that was a bad one. Lucky you didn't lose that fender.

BTW, I hope the boat is running good for you!

Footin
07-09-2012, 09:45 PM
They couldn't plug it?

SilviaMan
07-10-2012, 09:23 AM
just a few patches and some tread repair... good as new! :P
Glad it didn't hurt the boat / trailer!
Should keep an eye on how old the tires are on the trailer and look for any signs of cracking.
the DOT numbers will tell you the year. DOT numbers look like: 4BGT 2G1 0511
The "0511" is the week "05" and the year "11" A tires lifespan is supposed to be 5 years. I don't know if I totally agree with that but that is what the manufacturers tell us.
Just replaced 4 tires on our fifth wheel that were 8 years old because of some cracking on the sidewalls. (really small cracks)

thatsmrmastercraft
07-10-2012, 09:34 AM
That five year figure is a good benchmark for a trouble-free trailer life assuming that the tire is kept fully inflated. There is a liner on all tires that will crack from running at low inflation or from a severe impact. Once this liner is compromised, the life of the tire is significantly shortened.

Great job in catching that tire before it completely self-destructed.

rkhodges21
07-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Oh man! That could have been much worse than that. You are lucky that your fender is still there. Those fiberglass fenders love to say bye bye when a tire shreads.

O2BESOHUGE
07-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Some Armor All And Its Good As New!

Glad You Were Ok!

Philscbx
07-10-2012, 10:14 AM
I usually inform someone if I see too much sidewall squat - while on the road -
tire squat will always over heat even if it's 20 below zero.
Moving a heavy load got me one winter. It's usually instant failure blow out.

Doesn't hurt to take quick off/on exit ramp to spot check sidewalls if they are getting hot if going across town.
If it's too hot to hold you hand on the sidewall -
better pause till they cool off - and get more air in them down the road.

Road temps like we just had - 100 degree air temp - the asphalt can be 160 plus.

vrsc
07-10-2012, 06:18 PM
lucky you didn't lose a fender. I lost mine and it sucked trying to find a replacement.

macattack
07-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Ditto on the no fender damage!

Just curious, what brand, size and tire manufacture date?

ctjahn
07-10-2012, 07:34 PM
That five year figure is a good benchmark for a trouble-free trailer life assuming that the tire is kept fully inflated. There is a liner on all tires that will crack from running at low inflation or from a severe impact. Once this liner is compromised, the life of the tire is significantly shortened.

Great job in catching that tire before it completely self-destructed.

So... What about street vehicles. My truck tires are about 5 years old, 30k miles on them and TONS of tread left (Load Range E Transforce? by I cant remember who but a major manufacturer.)

BUT....

They have what I think is dry-rot cracks in them which worries me when I am towing BIG loads of 15k

And does that goop people put on tires to make them shine degrade them faster?

Cj

thatsmrmastercraft
07-10-2012, 08:09 PM
So... What about street vehicles. My truck tires are about 5 years old, 30k miles on them and TONS of tread left (Load Range E Transforce? by I cant remember who but a major manufacturer.)

BUT....

They have what I think is dry-rot cracks in them which worries me when I am towing BIG loads of 15k

And does that goop people put on tires to make them shine degrade them faster?

Cj

I stand behind a five year limit on any tire I run. If there is plenty of tread left on them, sell them on craigslist.

ctjahn
07-11-2012, 08:34 AM
I stand behind a five year limit on any tire I run. If there is plenty of tread left on them, sell them on craigslist.

I think it may be time... I would hate to have a blow out while going though Chicago/Gary with the loaded up rig...

My personal feeling is the goo helps degrade tires faster but....

cj

BrooksfamX2
07-11-2012, 08:59 AM
I have always been on the 5 year plan. I'm getting new tires today, just dropped off the wheels. Never wear them out, they just decay. I think mine are the original Marithons on the 07, (bought boat used last November).

Craig
07-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Wow, that was a bad one. Lucky you didn't lose that fender.

BTW, I hope the boat is running good for you!

Boat is running excellent, just rolled through 1100 hours and still turns some heads.

Ditto on the no fender damage!

Just curious, what brand, size and tire manufacture date?

No idea what the brand was, actually. The tires were certainly past five years but no dry rot cracks and plenty of tread. Clearly, something was wrong with it but it was not obvious, a bit scary.

I went ahead and replaced both tires on the trailer, the spare was new as the boat did not have one when I bought it.

Counting my blessings it did not destroy the fender.

zsqure
08-08-2012, 08:03 PM
I must be on borrowed time with my tires. I have a real alphabet soup going on F78-14 0327 last four of dot code, G78-14 51 last two of dot code, and 205 75 d14 1102 last four of the dot code. I have towed the boat from Raleigh NC Back to Massillon, Ohio by way of the outer banks. and the at least another 800 miles once i got back home. Is it time for tires? Of course the accountant at home wants to know if I really need to spend the money on tires this month.

-V-
08-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I got 4 new Carlisle about 3 years ago and have put over 4K miles on them. no problems (knock on wood). But when I first bought the boat, maiden outage on the way home, I had a blow out on the rear passenger side(Tandem axle). right after that is when I bought the new tires because they needed it.

coz
08-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I was towing my construction trailer today and had a blow out, pulled into a parking lot to change it with my spare only to find out the lug pattern isn't the same as the tires being used....and this is the spare that came with it, never needed it so I didn't know :mad: I popped the tire off and left the trailer and finally found a tire place about an hour later that hooked me up, put it on and away I went until the other side decided to blow about 5 miles from home :mad: I crawled in the shoulder to my off ramp and there's a big o on the corner that set me up with my second tire of the day :mad: All this and it's 116 degrees out there today :D

thatsmrmastercraft
08-09-2012, 12:48 AM
I must be on borrowed time with my tires. I have a real alphabet soup going on F78-14 0327 last four of dot code, G78-14 51 last two of dot code, and 205 75 d14 1102 last four of the dot code. I have towed the boat from Raleigh NC Back to Massillon, Ohio by way of the outer banks. and the at least another 800 miles once i got back home. Is it time for tires? Of course the accountant at home wants to know if I really need to spend the money on tires this month.

You only need new tires if you want to take your boat somewhere without a tire issue.:rolleyes:

PM me if you want a quote on tires.

Thrall
08-13-2012, 10:49 AM
I have always been on the 5 year plan. I'm getting new tires today, just dropped off the wheels. Never wear them out, they just decay. I think mine are the original Marithons on the 07, (bought boat used last November).

Tried to tell my buddy that last yr and this yr with his 06. Well this yr was it. 3 tires in under 500 mi, blown. Last one took out the fender about 2 hrs from home.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Tried to tell my buddy that last yr and this yr with his 06. Well this yr was it. 3 tires in under 500 mi, blown. Last one took out the fender about 2 hrs from home.

................ouch:eek3:

StrmChzr
08-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Yep - it sucks. I replaced a tire today with a Commodore FC with load range C (6 ply).

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/7708/photo53sy.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/857/photo53sy.jpg/)