PDA

View Full Version : Help with simple turns

davidstan
07-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Skied for 2 yrs now but still having problems with my turn on port side I am LFF. No problem with turns on right side but either leaning forward and doing a front door header or lean back and towards the right and almost lose balance. I just can't get the feel of making that cut. Anyone know a couple of tips to help?

charrison327
07-09-2012, 08:23 PM
yeah, i have the same problem too, ski and wakeboard. i guess i just don't ski and board enough

ricford
07-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Everyone has trouble with their "off" side. Weight balanced on the ski, don't bend at the waist bend at the knees. Shoulders, hips and center between your feet should be in line (hips forward). As you come around the turn pull the rope towards your hip, elbows tight to your vest and hold that position across the wake. Take easy turns till you get the feel of the position. Watch some videos of the pros on their weak side to get an idea of body position.

mzimme
07-09-2012, 10:53 PM
I've snow skied for so long that turning either way is just natural to me. I carve some serious carves on the snow, to the point where my inside elbow could scrape if I want to, so that leaning sensation is pretty natural. Practice, practice, practice. I just learned how to get up on the damn ski, so I was pleasantly surprised when turning came without much trouble.

bcd
07-09-2012, 11:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EonxoGtl3hk
Check out Terry Winter on youtube. He's got a few videos that go through proper slalom form and technique.

madcityskier
07-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Throw a video of yourself on YouTube and place the link here. You should be able to pick up some free coaching from some fairly good skiers.

mikeg205
07-10-2012, 11:35 AM
I have the same issue, its a level comfort...practice practice practice... video yourself to see what you are doing differently...I put on the brakes much sooner on port side...

itch2ski
07-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Here is a lot of helpful information, just don't get too overwhelmed!
http://www.ballofspray.com/tech-articles

MC209
07-16-2012, 02:44 PM
try playing with the canter on your boots also, if you have them angled to far or not far enough, it makes a big difference