PDA

View Full Version : 94' Mastercraft Prostar 205 trailer brakes AND tow question!! help ASAP

shocker47
07-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Hello, I have a 1994 Mastercraft prostar 205. Well here's my problem. I want to take the boat about 3 hours away from where it's docked and the main car I use a 07 trailblazer can't be used. I have a new 2011 Ford edge sel that may be an option. What is the weight of this boat WITH the trailer and can a ford edge pull this kind of weight ~3 hours or so highway mostly. What tow rig should I be looking at? Now heres my main problem. The trailers brakes. Well when I took the boat off the trailer I noticed the brakes were not there. Only a metal rod/tube and looks to be a rusted and broke off? Brakes look like they are still intact but I am guessing the WHOLE master cylinder rusted off. What are my options? Take it in for professional work? Who should I look for?

Thanks guys.

Footin
07-09-2012, 05:51 PM
The boat and trailer with nothing in it are about 3,500 pounds. Others may disagree but I say the Edge can do it if it is mostly highway. Make sure to keep room for stopping.

Rockman
07-09-2012, 05:53 PM
The boat and trailer with nothing in it are about 3,500 pounds. Others may disagree but I say the Edge can do it if it is mostly highway. Make sure to keep room for stopping.

Agree with Footin...putz! :D

What up Mike!?;)

shocker47
07-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Sounds good. I am worried about the trailer brakes. How much will it run me for a whole new setup?

mikeg205
07-09-2012, 06:22 PM
You can price out what you need at www.pacifictrailer.com

cost me about $600 to redo most of it. Not counting 3 new tires.

shocker47
07-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Can my ford edge launch a boat and recover it after a long day without any problems whatsoever?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
The edge has a tow capacity of 3500 lbs, so can the edge do it...probably yes just barely

Thrall
07-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Long as it isn't a real steep and or slippery ramp you'll be fine. Worst case use the boat to give the car a shove up the ramp.
I wouldn't worry about towing the 205 with the Edge. Not alot of tongue weight on the older Prostars, just keep the weight down in the boat and remember your stopping distances. If you have a little too much tongue weight, fill the gas tank on the 205, will help balance it out a little.
Any big down hill grades start out slow in a lower gear at the top and save your brakes!
My 190 never did have good working brakes and it did not stress a 1/2 ton pickup at all to stop it.