PDA

View Full Version : LT-1 Raw Water Pump- New Seal or Replace

chevy08bud
07-09-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm looking to see if anyone has had any luck just putting a new seal in a leaky raw water pump, or if it is more trouble than it's worth? I'm also under the impression that there are different raw water pumps for LT-1 and non LT-1 engines if I do decide to replace the whole pump. If you can shead any light on this subject, I'd appreciate it.
Eric

NatesGr8
07-09-2012, 03:29 PM
if you have access to a bearing/shop press just rebuild it. Easy job with a press.

Thrall
07-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Pretty easy without a press as well.
Remove the rw pump and knock the old seal out, tap a new one in. Just like a mini axle seal.
I did mine on my 190 LT-1 and it lasted a couple years (at least, sold it). Cheaper than a new pump unless you have alot of hrs then maybe change the pump.
RW pumps are the same I believe between LT1 and non LT1 engines, in fact I'm almost positive my MCX has the same pump. Every Indmar I've sen from mid 90's to mid 2000's uses the same impeller.
Circulating pumps are differnt on a LT1 vs other 350's. LT-1s are reverse cooling with water going to the heads first.

Craig
07-09-2012, 09:40 PM
LT1 has a different mounting holes. The pump housing is the same but if you buy one from skidim the LT1 pump comes with the correct mounting holes on the flange that attaches to the balancer pulley.

CruisinGA
07-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Check your bearings. Good chance they are shot - mine were.

blackcreek
07-10-2012, 07:15 AM
3 years and still going strong on my seal replacement.

Bouyhead
07-10-2012, 08:28 AM
New pump assembly about $200, new seal $13 order both and just do the seal and see what happens. Like Thrall said seal replacement is a breeze no special tools needed.

NatesGr8
07-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Pretty easy without a press as well.
Remove the rw pump and knock the old seal out, tap a new one in. Just like a mini axle seal.
Sorry, yes just the seal is quite easy without a press, i was thinking back to when i rebuilt the whole thing, bearings and all.

chevy08bud
07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the guidance. So I will have to take the pump off in order to replace the seal? I was thinking that I would be able to remove the impeller and then use a pick to pull the old one out, then put the new one in with a large deep well socket. Or does the seal have to come out the back? I'm sure I'll figure it out when I have it in front of me, but the boat's 225 miles from me at the time.