PDA

View Full Version : Dude!

heysteve!
08-25-2005, 10:26 PM
dude does anyone have any broken bones from wakeboarding or injuries bc if you do or did post them here....i have got hurt pretty bad but not from wakeboarding luckily well thanks guys

rodltg2
08-25-2005, 10:29 PM
not wakeboarding but poped ear drum slalom and barefootiing , cracked ribs slalom.

BradD
08-25-2005, 10:33 PM
I broke by foot and still have bone fragments and bone spurs from pushing for the 6 ball on a choppy day.
My brother shattered his spleen in a slalom accident that from all accounts was rather typical...he spent 10 days in critical care, 11 days total in the hospital. The worse part was that because he was in such pain, my other brother gave him 1600 mg of Motrin (not knowing his spleen was shattered). Motrin thins the blood. He turned grayish white. The ambulance got him to the hospital in time. He has lost half his blood. He has only been on a ski once since then.

3event
08-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Stress fracture of ankle in 3 places from single hiwrap on slalom ski. Friend ruptured an eardrum learning to barefoot, ended up in hospital overnight to ensure no skull fracture. Brother smacked in temple by end of slalom - pain but no damage luckily.

But never tell your newbies those stories when you're teaching 'em. Thankfully they are few and far between.

Still safer than downhill sports I say.....

is this now the "Share Your Pain" thread?

MarkP
08-25-2005, 10:41 PM
Just ribs for me. Knock on teak........

ski_king
08-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Herniated 2 disks in neck while barefooting.
I now have a 3 in. scar on back of neck. Almost as good as new.

SKI*MC
08-25-2005, 10:53 PM
I just sprained my ankle yesterday, from a trampoline.... otherwise, nothing that stopped me from skipping a set, other than my ankle today.

Alteczen
08-25-2005, 11:26 PM
I've torn both major pectorals...

PendO
08-25-2005, 11:35 PM
3 summers ago (2002) I was trying to slide on the wakeboard and caught an edge ... needless to say the next morning when I work up my leg was tingling, not long after it was the most painful thing I had ever felt (more painfull than broadsided by a truck while traveling 60 on an Motorcycle in 1992) something to do with pinching my sciatic nerve ... needless to say I have never regained complete superficial feeling in my right foot despite the chiro/massage/md route, specifically the pinky toe ... so now, at least once a month I nail it on furniture b/c my brain registers the 2nd to last toe as the last toe (if that makes any sence), it took several months before I could stand on one leg and raise up off my toes ... my dad tried to pull out a jump start a few years ago (okay, probably 15 years ago) and the ambulance had to come b/c he tore his hamstring (how embarrasing)... should have let go of the rope, but pride got in the way;) (oh yeah, he was driving the motorcyle when we got hit, and had to have his heel grafted back on). [my mom was driving the car behind us on the way back from the cabin so all she saw were sparks from the motorcycle sliding across the hwy]

X2M
08-25-2005, 11:35 PM
My husband is out of commission right now. He did an amazing crash 'n burn on the wakeboard. Strained shoulder and possible fractured collarbone. Poor guy. :( When he was younger he broke his nose a couple of times when his ski came back and got him during a fall (double boots now).

My worst isn't as bad. I caught an edge (face plant). Which those on the boat scored as a 10 on the ouch scale :o . Ended up with a pinched nerve in my neck and couldn't move for 2 weeks. :(

3event
08-25-2005, 11:41 PM
ah yes, powerslot reminds me....

diagnosed with mild disc damage in lumbar region, impinging on nerves. not really a pain issue, but the crushed nerves led to numbness in lower back and isolated abdominal areas. no correction recommended or really needed.

doc asked what happened, couldn't believe i didn't know. didn't have the heart to tell him that it could have been one of MANY barefooting wipeouts......

and we love these sports........!!!!!!!!!

maristarman
08-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Guy I know broke his leg in a bad wakeboarding landing/fall.

mhsb1029
08-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Nothing too bad yet, just some bruised ribs when I let go of the handle mid way through a healside backroll and landed on my head. Note to self, "letting go of the handle on a backroll will stop your rotation".

woody
08-26-2005, 05:33 AM
Wakeboarding nowt but concussion myself but been in the boat for: a broken ankle, a broken neck and a few ribs. Wakeboarding ain't that bad. Snowboarding on the other hand I've....left broke arm twice and right arm once, coxix once (that one stings), collar bone, separated pad in bottom of right foot, and lost my spleen off the backside of one of colorado's mountains to a log....... worn a helmet ever since on snow.

sizzler
08-26-2005, 05:35 AM
broke my heart ...when i sold my b/boot 200......mended it with an X9 :banana:

bigmac
08-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Snowboarding on the other hand I've....left broke arm twice and right arm once, coxix once (that one stings), collar bone, separated pad in bottom of right foot, and lost my spleen off the backside of one of colorado's mountains to a log....... worn a helmet ever since on snow.

I gotta see your helmet! If it protects your arm, coccyx, collarbone and spleen - that's some kind of safety device!

Friend of mine (sheriff's deputy) snowmobiles in kevlar body armor. It's saved his spleen at least once that I know of. Guess kevlar wouldn't be too practical as protection for towed water sports, though...

sizzler
08-26-2005, 07:43 AM
I gotta see your helmet! If it protects your arm, coccyx, collarbone and spleen - that's some kind of safety device!

try a sumo tube instead :banana:

woody
08-26-2005, 07:55 AM
as long as my head functions the rest of me heals, helmets a comfort banket really but has saved my skull a couple of times. Last seaon had bad concussion with it on, without it who knows. Use to do the body armour thing snowboarding too, but I ride better without it, and you learn to get the board under you no matter what. Touch wood haven't broken anything since the dainese went to the yard sale.

Cary K.
08-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Blown both ACL's.
Inner thigh muscle tear from doing a split on the wakeskate at 22mph.
Broke my hand on a slider the week before US Championships. Went anyway and rode with a cast on. I got some really funny looks and lots of props !!!

Hoff1
08-26-2005, 09:21 AM
7" scar on neck and concussion from tubing accident. 2 broken ribs from wakeboarding (picture attached). Chronic back/nerve pain from too much skateboarding, snowboarding, wakeboarding, and drinking.

phecksel
08-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Club member, Norway's national champ, spiral fractured his leg one week before going home to defend his title, TWO YEARS IN ROW. He gave up on the roller blade boot concept.

erkoehler
08-26-2005, 11:21 AM
My brother broke his femur and hip in 4 different spots waterski jumping with the Min-Aqua Bats this year in late July. He now has a 14 inch metal plate going down his leg starting at his hip. That will be in for 18 months and then they have to go back in and remove it! There are also a good number of screws holding the leg together.

Rockman
08-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Only injury lasting a few weeks were brusied ribs from a taking a fall doing front toe holds long line.

Always keep your toes up... :)

I would like to mention the accident involving my little toe and the dock cleat on our pier a few years ago but that one is pretty gross. 8 stitches later and it was all good. :o

BigBarney
08-26-2005, 03:02 PM
I have 2 a**holes from barefooting (trying to do a roll) without a suit :o

ski_patrol_72
08-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Being a paramedic I see a ton of stuff out there. I also volunteer with the local clubs and supply a safty service for them. Here is a x-ray of a Tib/Fib fracture from behind the leg when you have high-wraps on. Getting this kid out of the wraps hurt me becouse I had to cut his bindings apart. Hes all good and will be back on the water in no time.

USC8791
08-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Two concussions and bruised ribs.

Crash
08-28-2005, 01:08 AM
My brother broke his femur and hip in 4 different spots waterski jumping with the Min-Aqua Bats this year in late July. He now has a 14 inch metal plate going down his leg starting at his hip. That will be in for 18 months and then they have to go back in and remove it! There are also a good number of screws holding the leg together.

That's gotta put a damper on the season :( Hope he gets well faster than expected!

Crash
08-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Notice a lot of wakeboards wearing brain buckets when not near rails. Does it soften the head impacts on falls? Been contemplating the purchase for the kids.