PDA

View Full Version : Calling all X9 / 209 Owners

CruisinGA
07-09-2012, 11:03 AM
How do you get your rear seat bottom to stay in place!!!?

Our X9 has been great, 300 trouble free hours of boarding, skiing and footing in 3 years. However, the rear seat design SUCKS! it won't stay in place and always slides out. Shorter people (girls) like to step onto the seat to get in the boat when it is floating in the slip. If they don't step in the very back of the seat, it flips out on them.

If the ledges where the seat rests extended 4-6" more from the stern, there would be no problem. How have others fixed this issue?

JerryW
07-09-2012, 11:18 AM
I put some white velco (self stick / adhesive type) on the fiberglass where the seat base rests, and stapled the other half of the velcro to the underside of the seat base. It worked OK, but not perfect.

J NORRIS
07-09-2012, 11:22 AM
What year model are you referring to? I have a 2001 and the rear seat has a rubber cord attached to the bottom of the seat that clips to side of the boat under the seat.

02ProstarSammyD
07-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Mine had the rubber cords. Unfortunately they do not hold at highway speeds lol and it got in the way of my bags. After that incident I had my upholstry guy make the seat a lil bit larger to "not move around". The velcro idea is a good one but I can't imagine that holding up long with heat etc.

TXX9
07-09-2012, 12:03 PM
My 06 X9 has 2 pieces of 1" square tubing screwed to the bottom front that run almost the length of the seat, making a channel. When in place the channel fits over the carpeted board that runs across in front along the bottom. I would take pics, but the boat is covered and not accessible at this time.

When in use, we usually have our seat bottom up on the top (sitting on the SS grab handles), in the sun deck position, with the fatsac full. Except for the loss of seating space, we much prefer it in this position anyway.

Granite_33
07-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I have the rubber straps to hold the seat in place. That said, i have never used them, the seat is a very snug fit. Not once have I had problems with it moving. I think the support rails are pretty significant in length.

You got the seat shoved all the way in? Mine kind of catches the underside of the rear seat backrest, but I put a good "shove" on it to be sure its back as far as it can go.

The vinyl did give out on me last year though.......:mad: :rolleyes:

CruisinGA
07-09-2012, 04:37 PM
I do 'shove' mine it. It is always prone to slide out. I see where the rubber straps are supposed to hook, but I don't have them.

I had a few seams split early this spring, went ahead and had the seat redone. Rest of the boat interior is in really good shape.

When there is just a driver and 1 or 2 passengers, I'll raise the seat and fill my 750lb sack. Otherwise, we're better off to have the sack 1/2 full and 3 people occupying the back seat.

If ratchet straps were made small enough, one on each side to hold the seat back would do the trick.

JDC
07-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Maybe it's the redone upholstery that's the problem?

Mine never slides out (of course now that I said that... :rolleyes:) but mine has the original upholstery and it's a pretty snug fit. It's kind of a tug to get it out of the lower seat position to put up in the swim deck position, and I have to push it in pretty firmly to get it "seated" in the lower spot.

If your new vinyl is stretched tight with not much padding/foam to create a snug fit against the vinyl on the sides, maybe...?
Just thinking out loud.

I think the straps are to keep the seat bottom from becoming airborne, mostly when it's in the swim deck position. That's just my take on it since I haven't found any info on their use.

mellig
07-09-2012, 08:29 PM
My X9 with factory upholstery fits in tight under the seat back and does not move with the clips only holding it in place when in the up right position.

You should have a place to clip to the side of the boat and the underside of the seat. If not ad it back and at trip to the hardware store should take care of it...

CruisinGA
07-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Seat slid out before I had the upholstery redone... although it is worse since then.

I am seriously surprised to find that everyone doesn't have this problem.

Anyone have a picture of the stock rubber straps?

AZX9
07-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Mine fits tight and if I pull it out I have to lift the center rear and shove it in the slot on the back side. It kind of sags from not being shoved in in the past. Now I make sure it's shoved in by sitting on the engine cover and pushing with my feet.

I have seen rubber stick on 1" squares that are about an 1/8 inch thick that would stop it from sliding. Kind of like the rubber thingies on backside corners most cabinet doors to keep them from clanking shut.

JerryW
07-10-2012, 08:32 AM
This might be a little involved, but how about lowering the seat back a 1/2 inch or so. You may need to take the carpeted panels out of the storage compartment, take out the screws or bolts that hold the seat back on, enlarge or elongate the holes, and drop the seatback down so it fits tighter against the seat bottom. I had to do something similar on a front seat back to get it to fit better.

neil.anderson63
07-10-2012, 07:10 PM
My '05-X9 has a "flex board" that runs side to side under the front lip of the seat; it has two brackets that hold it in place on either side mounted by each rear speaker and there is a 3/4" strip under the front of the seat base that catches on the back side of the flex board. Of course when the ballast is being used the flex board can't be used, so we store the flex board under the filled bag. We only use the bungie's when it's up as a sundeck.
Not 100% ideal....

aswinter05
07-17-2012, 11:05 AM
What everyone else has said is the same with my 2004 209. It seems like mine has "bungie" straps on both sides of the bench seat right next to the speakers. Even if I removed the bungie straps, the seat would probably stay in place because it's a really snug fit. Sometimes it's even hard to remove the seat (even though we never do).

Apologies for not having pictures of the straps. My boat is parked at the marina. If I think about it, I'll snap some photos of the seat this weekend.

FoggyNogginz
07-21-2012, 09:41 AM
The rubber straps were a terrible hassle with the ballast, and they fell off often. My seat has been recovered and not it stays in place with a little wider seat. This being said, our solution has also been to either fill the rear ballast slightly to hold the seat into place, or stuff jackets/tubes under there and then put the seat back on top of them. This holds the seat in place for us.

((One additional rant - the person at MC who thinks that boat vinyl should be designed into strips should be fired. This is useless for anything except the showroom floor. I covered all of mine with solid pieces of vinyl and attached the original piped design. Much better durability, and it's what we should expect when dropping this kind of money.)

BT2005PS209
09-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Ummm, probably a silly question, but do you make the sure the "ledge" on the bottom of the seat is BEHIND the flex board that supports it? It tends to want to be in front of the board if you just shove it in there, but it actually belongs behind it. Should not tip or pull out if you do that. At least my 2005 does not and my kids are stepping in and out and on it non stop. The easiest way is to shove the seat back and then lift and pull the flex board out from the middle and set the ledge down behind it while shoving it back as far as it goes.