PDA

View Full Version : X80 port engine problem after low on gas

jgrass
07-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Long day on the water yesterday on our 06 x80 and all stations on the water were closed by the time we headed home. We were almost on E while in a no wake zone and started feeling like 1 or both of the engines were running rough. Filled it up this morning and took it up and it still felt rough. Port engine now boggs and seems to backfire when putting the boat under load while starboard runs fine. After reading the posts it sounds like I may have a fuel pump problem due to running it low but does the x80 have 2 fuel pumps in the single tank, 1for each engine?

CRAIG1212
07-11-2012, 10:54 AM
I had a similar issue this weekend in our 07 X-80. After having the boat on the water for 4 days working fine. We trailer home to our local lake the next day, put the boat in the water and port engine would not start. I ran the gas down to about 1/8 of a tank on the previous outing (I don't know if this was the issue) but after trouble shooting at the house, found it was the fuel pump. The first thing I would do is find out if you are getting any pressure in the line. There is a value on the outside fuel rail you can hook up to. We went to our local Napa dealer and found a new pump for about $82 (not $400 the dealer wants for the Carter pump). Fairly easy fix took about an hour to complete.

And yes ther is 1 tank and 2 pumps. The port is the closest to engine.

willyt
07-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Craig -
Whats the napa part number you bought?

Lars
07-11-2012, 02:04 PM
check the fuel filter, it's possible it sucked up some gunk that is now clogging the filter.

CRAIG1212
07-11-2012, 02:29 PM
I just kept the box. Its a precision fuel pump the box has ORF95 on it. I dont know if that is the PN but it is a 65psi pump. The Carter is a 60psi, I assumed that going up a little would not hurt but did not check with MC or Indmar. Might give them a call first to check. I took the pump out first and took it to Napa.
Filter could be the issue as Lars said but I would go ahead and get an extra pump JIC the Carter fails. From what I have read about the Carter it will fail. Indamr said check spark, fuel psi and air flow.

One way I could tell it was the pump was to turn the starboard ignition to on (wait a few seconds) and listen for the fuel pump to kick on. Do the same for the port side. I only got a click sound with the port and I could hear the starboard pressuring up.

CRAIG1212
07-11-2012, 06:33 PM
If you do it yourself get a tool to take off the gas line

osbornda
07-12-2012, 03:13 AM
If you do it yourself get a tool to take off the gas line
Good to here your issue with the fuel pumps...I think I'm going to proactively change both of mine in my X-80 with the napa version.....before I get stranded.....with one motor. How did the napa pump run once replaced?

CRAIG1212
07-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Had the water hooked up in the drive. Started fine once the gas got through the lines. First lake test will be Saturday. Ill let you know.

Just FYI if you do replace yourself you can get the pump out without takeing the gas line off. I removed the gas line to get it out off the boat. If I do again I will remove the rubber piece and slide the pump out. You do have to get the basket out though.

CRAIG1212
08-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Starboard fuel pump went out this weekend. 290 hours on the port and 300 on the starboard. Replaced this time with an autozone pump. So a pump from napa on the port and autozone on the starboard.