PDA

View Full Version : Bent prop, bent strut, hot motor, etc.

toolz
07-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Just got back today from a week-long vacation in MI, took my '98 200VRS along. First evening, idling around the lake, hit the prop on a sandy/rocky bottom. Didn't sound too bad, figured I hurt the prop, but the boat was in the water all week, and performed very well. No vibration. After loading the boat last night, I inspected the damage- prop pretty torn up and the strut bent left, directly in line with the rudder. I can still turn the prop by hand fairly easily. I'd be surprised if the shaft is bent, since it runs so smooth. Gonna check with the insurance company in the morning, and if they'll cover it, the dealer gets the job.

The boat wouldn't start one morning- couldn't hear the fuel pump running. I moved the wire plug on the pump a bit and it took off and ran fine. Must have some corrosion in the plug.

I have the common LT1 cooling issue- temp likes to spike after a hard run. I just bump up the throttle a little and it comes right down. Last night I was idling across the lake to load the boat (no wake after 7:30) and the temp just kept climbing, no matter what I did. Check engine light never came on. I shut it off in the middle of the lake for a while, and then went on to the trailer. Lots of seaweed in this lake, so may have something plugged?

Tach was all over the place this week- could tap on it and it would read correct for a while. Time for a new one?

Lastly- when I was approaching the loading ramp last night, the oil pressure gauge pegged, and stayed there. Is there a possibility that something electrical is affecting all the gauges? Maybe the motor never was really overheating? Oil gauge went up instantly, water temp went up gradually. Tach did what it wanted to. Any connection?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. Also blew a tire (Goodyear of course) on the way up in 98 degree weather, and tore up a fender. Back to the fiberglass man.

kycat2007
07-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Sounds like you experienced in one weekend what I have over the past month. Goes with owning the boat I guess.

toolz
07-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Talked to Progressive today- they'll cover the repair ($500 ded) so I took it to the dealer tonight. Had a lot of seaweed in the trans cooler, so my overheat problem should be solved. The bolt that mounts the cooler to the block was loose, allowing the cooler body to run against the oil pressure sender. That may have been the cause of the oil gauge pegging. It was acting normal when I ran it on the hose tonight. I am a bit concerned about how hot the motor got, but again, the check engine light never came on, so hopefully I didn't do any damage.

The tach is still acting up. Is replacement in order, or is there something I could check first?

FrankSchwab
07-10-2012, 01:25 AM
My tach was totally flakey when I got the boat (used). It would read fine for a minute, then swing high, low, all over, then back to fine. I spent an afternoon, seperated all the electrical connectors in the boat, cleaned the contacts with some DeOxit, and put everything back together. The tach has worked perfectly since then, and it also made all the other gauges work better also.

That'd be my suggestion. Not an easy one, for sure. And not a good one for a 110 degree day.

/frank