PDA

View Full Version : Fuel problem

Justin D.
07-08-2012, 06:45 PM
While on our boat yesterday the GDIG alarm went off telling me I was low on fuel. So we began driving back to the dock to fill up when the engine dies on me! We towed it to the dock, filled up and it started right up again. What's weird is our boat only needed 30 gallons of gas, so the fuel tank was not empty when the engine died because our tank is 45 gallons:confused:. Could this be a fuel pump issue? The boat is a 2012 X-15 with 50 hrs and the Ilmor 5.7

vision
07-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Yes, but not only could it be a bad pump, but it could be a clogged filter if you had a tank of bad gas (a stretch mind you) or the pump that is installed incorrectly. If not correctly installed in the plastic housing/carrier that holds the pump in the tank, the pump may not be resting near the bottom of the tank. Have you ever run the fuel tank this low in the past?

But, by far the most common cause of those symptoms is accidentally nudging the kill switch lanyard.

Justin D.
07-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Yes I have run it under 1/4 once or twice. I read that it can cause damage to the fuel pump?

vision
07-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Gas cools the pump and if you run the tank low, the pump can overheat and shorten its life span.

Your boat is still under warranty so fortunately your dealer should take care of it. But, fuel pressure gauges are inexpensive and a good idea to have if you want to really determine if your fuel pump is not functioning correctly.

While fuel pumps can intermittently work while they are dying, it would be unusual in my experience for a bad fuel pump to cause the boat to quite and then run completely normal later.

You can certainly have the fuel pump end up above the fuel line while still having fuel in the tank if you are heavily ballasted for surfing.