PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass on LT1

BrianM
07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Can someone please post up a photo of your PP servo installed on your LT1? And provide me the length of your servo to throttle cable? Trying to trouble shoot a friends PP problem which I think is related to the positioning of the servo and length of cable. Thanks in advance.

langedp
07-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Here's some pics of my '94. Sorry I don't have the length and I won't have access until next weekend.

pram
07-09-2012, 12:18 PM
that is the same location that I have installed mine in also

for some reason 21" length comes to mind??

BrianM
07-09-2012, 05:22 PM
His is installed almost exactly as above. He is having surging issues. I thought the kink there by the servo might be causing an issue which is what PP is suggesting. I was thinking of trying a substantially shorter sable and moving the servo to right in front of the engine near the water pump. He has been fighting this issue for years and I am determined to get it fixed.

east tx skier
07-09-2012, 06:00 PM
When is it surging. Older mechanical systems used to do that if you were throttled below the set point. I know it doesn't make logical sense that it would do that, but our old boat used to do it and Perfect Pass said it was the system attempting to hit the set point.

BrianM
07-09-2012, 06:06 PM
When is it surging. Older mechanical systems used to do that if you were throttled below the set point. I know it doesn't make logical sense that it would do that, but our old boat used to do it and Perfect Pass said it was the system attempting to hit the set point.

This boat has always been really picky about throttle. You have to go easy on the throttle until it hits the set point then slowly ease more throttle so it doesn't drop the set point. Even giving it a bunch of additional throttle it will sometimes surge and or just drop 3-5 mph.

dobber
07-09-2012, 06:20 PM
What I had to do once was turn the servo knob and tighten it up. There is a cord that will be loose and that is what fixed mine.

BrianM
07-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks dobber but its tight. Keep the ideas coming.

Craig
07-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Add more throttle return spring, lots more. I had the same problem with my install, it needed two of the springs included in the kit to do the trick.

It is enough stiffness that if I pull trick I need to keep my hand on the throttle or it will kick back to idle if we hit a small wave or something.

Ski-me
07-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Mine is mounted on the back exhaust and loops forward. Having it in the front like the ones above tend to catch on my engine cover when I was lowering it down. My cable would not stay in one position without holding onto the throttle knob. If I let go, the boat would slow down on its own. I added a u clamp to the cable and applied just enough tension to keep the throttle constant when I let go. PP was not able to work before the u clamp was installed.

mattb
07-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Just got a new throttle cable for my PP on my LT1. I set it up for the first time since i've owned the boat. It is a 21" cable. I attached it almost all the way up to the exhaust manifold, and zip tied in one spot on the hose the looks like a squared off "U" so it wouldn't bind or move when I put the motor box down. I'll get a pic tomorrow for you; I have no binding, no throttle surges, zero problems... just consistent smooth speeds.

pram
07-09-2012, 11:57 PM
What about resetting the PP back to complete factory settings could the gain be set to high?

BrianM
07-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Just got a new throttle cable for my PP on my LT1. I set it up for the first time since i've owned the boat. It is a 21" cable. I attached it almost all the way up to the exhaust manifold, and zip tied in one spot on the hose the looks like a squared off "U" so it wouldn't bind or move when I put the motor box down. I'll get a pic tomorrow for you; I have no binding, no throttle surges, zero problems... just consistent smooth speeds.

Pictures when you can.. Thanks..

BrianM
07-10-2012, 02:53 PM
What about resetting the PP back to complete factory settings could the gain be set to high?

I might do this too.

chevy08bud
07-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Like Ski-Me, I had to put a cable clamp on my throttle cable to keep my PP from surging.