PDA

View Full Version : Strange "bubbling" noises from floor drain

Bill X-55
07-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Anyone experience this? We have a new X-55 with the 7.4 ILMOR. When idling we get this loud "bubbling or gargling" noise through the two drains at the back of the boat. It literally sounds like a toilet flushing. There are two hoses that run from the floor of the boat to the transom and each appear to have a one way flow valve. These hoses always have water in them that come in from the transom drains.

It looks to me the only function these have is to allow water to drain from inside the boat to the transom drains as they don't connect to any other components. I was "thinking" of closing these off because the noise it VERY annoying but wanted to check if they serve another purpose?

Jim@BAWS
07-08-2012, 06:54 PM
You are getting a resonating in the scupper tubes. I know it sounds silly...add come fresh water into the scuppers for the day and it will calm down. You probably notice that is goes away when you accelerate away...Sometimes the scupper back lash plastic gate needs to be turned perpendicular to the scupper.

I have heard the same thing you have heard

Jim@BAWS

Bill X-55
07-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks Jim! So is the only purpose of the scupper tube to allow water to drain from the boat? If so I was thinking of adding an in-line valve in the tube so I could close it off completely, then open the valve if I get water in the boat.