PDA

View Full Version : Best Ski for an Intermediate

yippikaiyay
07-08-2012, 02:33 PM
A friend of mine asked re: what would be a good ski choice for a 15 year old male, 150 lbs., who skis at 30mph and 15 off. He is just starting to experience course skiing. I'm sure he'll progress quickly - but for the next year or so, what would be a good ski choice? Thanks!

mikeg205
07-08-2012, 03:25 PM
HO Comp Free Ride 68"

Cloaked
07-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Anything under $500 w/ binders unless he's ready to tackle the next level of skills. At 15 and 150/ I recommebd a 66" ski with a front boot binder and a rear toe piece. Plenty of room to grow on that. A longer ski will hinder more than help at that weight. Height could factor but............... A shorter ski puts him in a junior category for skill development. Sixty-six / 67" at most (for a tall guy).

Has he ever skied a course or is he wanting to go that route?

$0.02

broncotw
07-08-2012, 06:24 PM
I agree with "Cloaked" in regards to a 66" ski! I would look for a Connelly Concept! It's a GREAT ski and it's also very forgiving..... It can be used for beginners, intermediate, and competition skiers......

itch2ski
07-08-2012, 06:33 PM
A 66" or 67" should work great. At 15 years old he still has some growing to do and skiing the course at 30mph a ski that is a little bigger will help. I have a different opinion regarding the Connelly Concept, I skied one for years and when I got on a new HO Coefficient X I was blown away at how much faster/easier the HO is. The Concept is old tech and really has a tendency to hunt for an edge. A 67" HO Coefficient X will work great now and give him room to grow in size and ability.

yippikaiyay
07-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Anything under $500 w/ binders unless he's ready to tackle the next level of skills. At 15 and 150/ I recommebd a 66" ski with a front boot binder and a rear toe piece. Plenty of room to grow on that. A longer ski will hinder more than help at that weight. Height could factor but............... A shorter ski puts him in a junior category for skill development. Sixty-six / 67" at most (for a tall guy).

Has he ever skied a course or is he wanting to go that route?

$0.02

He's just started to be exposed to a course, and will likely do primarily freeskiing this summer.
Thanks for the advice.....

Jeff Lyman
07-08-2012, 09:13 PM
I think skiing at 30 lends to a wide ride ski verses a conventional. Radar has a Senate thats a bit wider in the center to help keep the ski from sinking in the turns an its new technoligy. Bouye chassing at 30 mph sure causes a ski to dog the corners bad. Ive been there 30 then 32 and used a Connelly F1X wide body it helped alot keeping the ski higher in the water. I agree with others on length 66. Radar Vector boots are inexpensive safe and super comfortable they will bring him into short lines to.

rhsprostar
07-08-2012, 09:28 PM
x2 on the HO coefficient X.......great ski....

madcityskier
07-08-2012, 11:00 PM
X2 on the f1x. Great ski to go a long way on. I'm hearing good things about the v but have no firsthand knowledge.

19_Skier
07-08-2012, 11:09 PM
x2 on the HO coefficient X.......great ski....

make that x3 - loving this ski right now and it has the ability to go into shortline when he is ready.

Ironhorse
07-09-2012, 08:29 AM
coefficient or Senate. I skied on the concept for years as well and noticed a huge change when moving to the Strada.

yippikaiyay
07-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the good info.

ski_king
07-09-2012, 09:22 AM
I have been a fan of the O'Brien Syncro.

A ski that is easy on ou, but has a lot performance.

Bluccous
07-16-2012, 12:38 AM
I need advice as to the correct ski for me. I learned to slalom when I was 10 but have just now got back into it. The past 2 years I have been skiing on a family members ski that was for bigger people, it's pretty wide bodied. And I have been being pulled behind their XStar. My husband just purchased a1985 S&S and bought a late 80's Connelly hook 67" ski for me. I am 5'4" and 150# do y'all think I'll be able to Ski on this? I am hoping to improve. Thanks for any info!

itch2ski
07-16-2012, 11:00 AM
I need advice as to the correct ski for me. I learned to slalom when I was 10 but have just now got back into it. The past 2 years I have been skiing on a family members ski that was for bigger people, it's pretty wide bodied. And I have been being pulled behind their XStar. My husband just purchased a1985 S&S and bought a late 80's Connelly hook 67" ski for me. I am 5'4" and 150# do y'all think I'll be able to Ski on this? I am hoping to improve. Thanks for any info!

At 5'4" and 150 a 67" ski seems a little big. Also, shaping and materials have improved vastly since the late 80's. Who knows how much that ski was skied on or how much it was left in the sun, all of which will affect the core and the skis performance.

What is your ability level? What speed do you ski? What is your budget?

BTW - Nice boat! Love the old S&S, decent ski wakes too! Let see some pics!

mzimme
07-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Trying to ski behind an X-star?? Ouch....

Bluccous
07-16-2012, 12:01 PM
itch2ski, I consider myself a beginner. I have ALOT to learn and am loving these forums. I think my brother-in-law has been pulling me about 25-28 behind the X-star, have yet to ski behind the S&S (can't wait tho!) Dont really have a budget per say but the cheaper the better because I am by no means looking to compete and we only get to the lake probably 4-6 times a season. I do it for fun but would like to get better. The hook looks great and the guy we bought it from seemed like he took great care of his equipment but, like you said, who knows! Guess I'll find out :) ANY, and I mean ANY suggestions/advise (i.e. speed I should be pulled at, length of rope, ect...) are greatly appreciated and needed!! I feel ignorant but hey, you won't know unless you ask, right?

p.s. The reason he bougt that ski is because he knew I like the look of the old wooden skis

Bluccous
07-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Will get some pics of our new baby as soon as I get them loaded on my computer

MZIMME, Behind an XStar....Ouch...Tell me about it!!!

itch2ski
07-17-2012, 01:34 PM
itch2ski, I consider myself a beginner. I have ALOT to learn and am loving these forums. I think my brother-in-law has been pulling me about 25-28 behind the X-star, have yet to ski behind the S&S (can't wait tho!) Dont really have a budget per say but the cheaper the better because I am by no means looking to compete and we only get to the lake probably 4-6 times a season. I do it for fun but would like to get better. The hook looks great and the guy we bought it from seemed like he took great care of his equipment but, like you said, who knows! Guess I'll find out :) ANY, and I mean ANY suggestions/advise (i.e. speed I should be pulled at, length of rope, ect...) are greatly appreciated and needed!! I feel ignorant but hey, you won't know unless you ask, right?

p.s. The reason he bougt that ski is because he knew I like the look of the old wooden skis

Being a beginner 25-28mph is probably a good start, and for that speed the 67" ski will work good at keeping you on top of the water. It might be your best bet to continue using the Hook and if you feel limited by its design or you don't like how it skis then look around for clearance skis that are a year or two old. You could probably find something online like an HO Comp Freeride or Muse in a 65" (for 28-30mph) or 67" (for 25-28mph) for not too much. They are great stable skis and would be perfect to progress on. The newer bindings you could get with them would be more supportive and a great improvement as well. For rope length I recommend skiing at 15' off, a full length rope is just too long. Hopefully with the new boat you will get out more than 4-6 times a season, that sounds like torture!

Bluccous
07-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the advice!! Will def take to heart. It is pure torture not getting on the lake more often but I think that is about to change :-)