PDA

View Full Version : Hot Restart and Trouble Cranking

homer12
07-08-2012, 01:25 AM
I've been searching the forum and have a lot of good info so far. Today at the lake, had 2 issues.
1st no crank or turning over at all on the ramp. Already, knew I had to "jiggle" the throttle to get it to put any power to the ignition system. Was pretty sure it was the neutral safety switch. I bypassed it for the day to go out and that took care of that.
2nd was after running a while, issues with hot restart. It was as though the starter was having trouble turning over the engine at all. It acted as if the battery was dying but it was fine or like something was preventing the starter and engine from cranking. So far I thinking it could be vapor lock, bad coil, bad points, bad starter. After sitting a while to anchor and swim it started right up no problem. Question is what should start with trying to diagnose?

thanks.

BDF2
07-08-2012, 11:47 AM
If your motor is a 351, check the negative cable the next time this happens. If it is hot, pull the starter and have it checked. I would also check your timing. I had the same issues with my '86. Replaced the starter, adjusted the timing, and a new Optima battery. It starts right up now.

homer12
07-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Ok, are you talking about the negative off the starter or off the battery? If it's hot and by hot do you mean too hot to touch and is that inferring starter is bad?

are you referring to flywheel timing or distributor cap timing?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Ok, are you talking about the negative off the starter or off the battery? If it's hot and by hot do you mean too hot to touch and is that inferring starter is bad?

are you referring to flywheel timing or distributor cap timing?

Bad starter...Positive cable off the battery to starter motor is what will be hot, if its hot its pulling to many amps due to a starter cable corrosion or loose connections or the starter is simply failing. If battery cables are clean, tight and free of corrosion I would remove starter motor and have auto zone load test it. If starter needs to be replaced then you can have it rebuilt, if you want a new starter motor keep in mind it NEEDS to be a marine unit.

TM 89 190
07-08-2012, 11:31 PM
I am having the same troubles it sounds like; I replaced the starter last year, new batt last year also I changed the starter selanoid and that did not do the trick, all cables are tight, I don't get a click from the selanoid or any thing.

ahhudgins
07-09-2012, 12:02 AM
I've been searching the forum and have a lot of good info so far. Today at the lake, had 2 issues.
1st no crank or turning over at all on the ramp. Already, knew I had to "jiggle" the throttle to get it to put any power to the ignition system. Was pretty sure it was the neutral safety switch. I bypassed it for the day to go out and that took care of that.
2nd was after running a while, issues with hot restart. It was as though the starter was having trouble turning over the engine at all. It acted as if the battery was dying but it was fine or like something was preventing the starter and engine from cranking. So far I thinking it could be vapor lock, bad coil, bad points, bad starter. After sitting a while to anchor and swim it started right up no problem. Question is what should start with trying to diagnose?

thanks.

Vapor lock, coil and points have nothing to do with cranking. Don't just "look" at all of your connections and wires, remove and clean them (wire brush). Make sure your battery posts and the inside of the battery clamps are CLEAN. Remove and clean the connections on the solenoid and the starter, and clean the ground connection from the battery to the engine block. If your connections are good, then have the starter tested as others have mentioned. It sounds like a starter issue, but bad connections can cause the same symptoms and are cheaper to fix.

indyprostar190
07-10-2012, 07:42 PM
I have had almost the same problem.... It will start perfectly when cold but if it has run and is shut down it wont restart. It will crank once then hum with the belt barely moving. The most 2 recent times it has died is when I have been putting it on the trailer trying to get the front hook/pin on the trailer to catch and after 10 min of having it just sit on the trailer in the water it started right up.

I know its not the batter(I have charged and tried using a brand new battery)
I have had the alternator tested
I have cleaned the battery cables and tightened all the other connections.

I don't think it is the starter, could it be the solenoid?
could it just be that I am flooding it while trying to start it?
Honestly I am out of ideas on what it can be -- Thanks for any help.

mikeg205
07-10-2012, 07:59 PM
+1 on the starter... It's starting to over draw current when it heats up. What year are these boats and when is the last time there was some preventative maintenance done on starter.... if the starters were never removed and lubricated when winterized you may be surprised what you see.

I agree it's time to look at the starter...

indyprostar190
07-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Mine is a 87 Prostar 190, I honestly cant tell you any of those. I bought it about 3 weeks ago and from talking to the previous owner he was a put in water and run it, ill pay someone to winterize and store it kind of guy. The starter was my next place to check, any tips on what to do with it?

homer12
07-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Well, I looked over all my connections tonight and honestly most of them don't look too bad. I'll go ahead and wire brush them anyway. Anything special to get rust of connections or just new terminals?
Also, I was talk to Vince at skidim about the issue and he said these Mastercrafts (mine is an '89 Tristar 190) had the engines low in the bilge and of course the starter is the lowest down there. So if you've got much water in the bilge it likely has caused some damage. Well, I just replaced a broken bilge pump, so that's starting to sound like my problem :/
BTW, Indyprostar190 where do you ski or wakeboard? I'm in Indianapolis and just bought my boat from a guy off Lake Shaeffer. Lakes are low around here right now!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-11-2012, 12:18 AM
A wire brush will clean up connections. A stainless wire brush works really well. Be sure to apply a little dielectric grease to the freshly cleaned connections to keep them from building more corrosion.

indyprostar190
07-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Right now everything is low..... If im going to a lake we usually go to Geist or Morse the best water if you want to ski and wakeboard can be found on the white river if you launch in broad ripple. It is always smooth and even if there is another boat out there it settles down quick. The only thing to be careful of is that the river is low right now. It is 9-10 feet near the damn and gets down to 3.5-4 feet depending on how far north you go.

cptskier15
07-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Hey! We had a similar problem, replaced battery, solenoid, starter and cleaned every connection I could get my hands on, still when it was hot it would not crank freely. Engine was just rebuilt so thought could be "tight". Ended up replacing the starter cables, from battery to starter motor, all the thick ones. Fixed problem 100%!! they LOOK ok, but once they out the brittle and do not conduct very well.

Good luck!