PDA

View Full Version : x-10 lacking wot/ top end speed

labrecque
07-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I have a 205 x-10 with a RTP-1 engine. I typically don't run the boat at WOT but one night last week I did and noticed on the perfect pass that the speed was only 31 mph with 4500 rpms. Unfortunately later that evening I ding the prop and couldn't test it any further. I purchased a Acme 13.5x16. I was told that it would pull my arms off and the boat would do low forties. That's not the case. I felt that the boat was sluggish out of the hole, rand 33 mph on perfect pass and 4600 rpms. Any suggestions. I am going to calibrate perfect pass with a GPS tomorrow to see if the speedometer is off but it seems that the boat is not at the high end of WOT. Please help with any suggestions. I am not sure if this is a prop or engine tune-up issue.

73blue
07-08-2012, 07:37 AM
It wouldnt hurt to run some basic diagnostics. My boat was acting similar once and it turned out to be a timing issue due to a tooth breaking on the distributor.

labrecque
07-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Were you able to see the tooth that was broken on the distributor? Or was it actually the diagnostic testing computer that determined it.

73blue
07-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Were you able to see the tooth that was broken on the distributor? Or was it actually the diagnostic testing computer that determined it.

It was actually a timing light that discovered the timing issue. The broken tooth was discovered when we tried to adjust the timing. I took it to a dealer to scan for codes and nothing showed on the computer.

Rossterman
07-08-2012, 12:02 PM
A number of folks have found that the fuel pump hose (the one inside the fuel pump housing in the tank kinks and restricts fuel flow). There are a number of posts on it here on the forum. You might want to look at that.

mtajpa
07-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Not sure if the RPT engine has a Knock Sensor but if it does you might check that. The knock sensor reduces the timing if the sensor detects a pre-ignition condition(pinging). My LTR the knock sensor is removed to winterize. If the sensor wire is not reconnected it could be a problem. May be Engine Nut would or JimN would know more about this.