PDA

View Full Version : 1994 mastercraft trailer needs brake fluid??

frankster66
07-08-2012, 12:08 AM
What do I do, I checked my brake resivior today and it's completely dry, this trailer is new to me.
Should I just fill it up and see if it works? Or is their something i should clean out before adding brake fluid.

Thanks
Frank

JMann
07-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Fill it up bleed them and see what happens. If the resivior is dry chances are the lines are dry too. You probably want to but a bleed kit or pump. I talked a buddy into hand pumping the reciever for about an hour or more and it sucked for him, he wouldn't do it again.

h2oskifreak
07-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Is there rust in it, or just dry? Doesn't it take a special pressure machine to do it right? Pull your wheels off while you are at it and check the bearings and pads while you are at it. My 94 (new to me) trailer needed it all (Lucky for me I had it checked before I struck the deal). I ended up lifting the trailer and putting on new tires, and allignment but the bearings, breaks, actuator parts and lines was on the previous owner. I bet between he and I we spent well over $1,200 and this trailer "looked" brand new. Now I know it's safe and I wont have problems for years. Good Luck. Suggest if pads look bad, do the whole thing including the backing plate.

mtajpa
07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
What brand trailer? I just replaced the wheel cylinders and should have just gone this route.
https://caltrailerworks.com/online/product.php?productid=1048&cat=360&page=1

frankster66
07-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the help :-)

I just bought the boat, and it came with 1994 Mastercraft trailer, first thing I checked was the brake reservoir and I notice there wasn’t any fluid (no rust).

So I’m thinking I need to buy this (bleeder kit). Add the new brake fluid to the reservoir, and start the process of getting the new brake fluid back to the wheel cylinders.

It does seem very difficult to bleed the brakes because the cylinder stoke is short.

Frank

cmarty123
07-09-2012, 12:51 AM
I have a 95 trailer. My reservoir was dry too when I bought it. Turns out when they built the trailer they placed the brake lines within a plastic sleeve to protect the lines while being inside the trailer frame. Turns out water would accumulate in their and rust things. My brake lines were rusted. Turns out I needed a new actuator and calipers as well. Pacific Trailers will have everything you need.