PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Flange Leaks '93 PS 205

Mid TN
07-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Have a '93 PS 205, been getting a LOT of water in the bilge. First the Stuff box was leaking repacked that. Took it out on the lake, still have water coming in around both exhaust flanges. Pulled the gas tank and tightened both clamps on both sides. Took it out and thought it stopped, checked it before pulling it out and the port side was leaking. Couldn't really see the starboard because of the blower hose.

Is there some type of sealant that should be between the flange and the exhaust hose?
Guess I need to tear it apart again and pull the hose off the flange to see what they look like! Any suggestions? Thanks!

Lumbergh
07-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Is the flange good or bad? They can go bad:

BAD -

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/DSC00963800x600.jpg

Good-

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/DSC01309800x600.jpg

There is no sealant hose to flange, but there is sealant flange to hull on transom.

Skidim sells a poly flange for the pre-94 boats, not the exact holes however. The correct 8 holes are NLA and the only perfect fit I found in looking were SS 8 hole flanges @ waterskis.com (midwest MC). Of course then instead of being $30 total like it should be, it turns into $200+. BOAT, I guess.

YMMV.

Mid TN
07-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Lumbergh- I was ready to take it all apart again this afternoon, but decided to wait till after Sunday. My clamps were a turn or two loose, was hoping that would stop it. Seemed to for a little while though. Thanks for the tip on waterski.com, will see after I remove it. Vince at Skidim told me if you replace the flange, they us 3M 5200 to reseal it. Mine looks like it just had silcone, by looking at the screws like in your picture. Will let ya'll know! Thanks!!!
The stainless sure is purdy though!

Mid TN
07-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Took the port side exhaust pipe off and the flange looks like new! Any one have any suggestions to seal this up? The two hose clamps seem to be useless on the exhaust pipe that is so rigid. I know they do squeeze it some, but obviously not enough! Am I wanting too much?

Lumbergh
07-08-2012, 03:45 PM
I used high temp RTV to seal, 5200 is what you might call "permanent". The poly flanges had a clear silicone type sealant behind them, definitely came OEM that way.

The original sealant had dried out and and I had to do quite a bit of scraping to get it all off.

I thought of using 3M 4200, but read some write-ups online that seemed to indicate RTV would be sufficient and not impossible to remove the flanges should it be necessary.

Mid TN
07-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Lumbergh- My flange and exhaust pipe have never had anything on them. They are clean as can be on both surfaces. I'm fixin to put some RTV on it to seal it, May wait to see what other suggestions I get. Going on vacation this coming Wed.-Sunday, without the boat. Was hoping to order whatever I need to seal it up in the mean time.

panther
07-08-2012, 11:02 PM
This is I believe my first post. Thank you TT! I have learned a lot about our boat by researching and reading threads. We purchased our boat, 1995 Maristar 200 VRS, two years ago. Our boat has always taken on water. I always left the bilge pump switch on auto to remove the water. The pump would kick on about every 20 minutes while sitting on the water.

Last year I filled the bilge full of water while in the driveway. I did not find any leaks using this method. This year I changed the shaft packing which appeared to still be good. I also replaced the rub rail and resealed the joint between the upper and lower hull. After several trips to the lake I found both mufflers were leaking around the seams.

This last week I removed the exhaust hoses and mufflers. I used fiberglass and risen to seal the seams on the mufflers. I replaced the exhaust hoses as they appeared quite deteriorated inside.

When I removed the exhaust flanges I found a clear silicone type sealant that took me a while to remove with a razor blade. I used white 3M 4200 between the exhaust flange and hull. I used a dab of black 3M 4200 on the flange screws. I question if I should have researched and found the appropriate sealant for the flange, but I had two partially used tubes of the 4200. I'm sure a high temp RTV will work.

I launched the boat today and found water streaming through one of the exhaust flanges or hose. It turned out to be I didn't tighten the hose clamps tight enough. Tighten all the clamps and no more leak.

Hope this helps

Mid TN
07-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I talked to Jr. at Rambo this morning and explained my story. He said what may have happened is at some time, if I lost a impeller and it overheated the plastic flange may have warped due to the heat. The clamps won't tighten it up enough any more.
He was exactly right, I did loose a impeller last summer at Norris racing to the dock from a storm!
She did get hot and sounded like it blew the mufflers out the back! The brass spline spun off the rubber on the impeller. He said they carry matching hole spacing, stainless flanges for $120-$130 each. Guess I'm making a trip to Hazel Green!
Thanks for ya'lls help!!!

Mid TN
07-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Both flanges came right off, one fell off after all the screws were removed! The silicone separated from the plastic flange, completely on one and about half on the other. I'm sure it was from the over heatingand age, it was slightly warped on the tube part of the flange and the screw plate.
Rambo's was right on the money again!