PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Shift cable on 81 S&S?

addictedoffroad
07-07-2012, 05:52 PM
So, it seems that the cover or outer surround of the shift cable melted on me today. So, it won't shift into neutral at all. Can't even start the motor now as it won't engage the neutral safety switch and had to get towed in today. Not cool for our first trip out with this boat, but we'll work out the quirks. It could have even been like that for a while and eventually failed today as we were out on the lake for an hour or two before it happened.

This is an 81' S&S, 351, Velvet Drive 1.52:1

Anyone replace one before? Have a good source for one?

addictedoffroad
07-07-2012, 06:23 PM
So, I was able to manually shift the tranny to get it into neutral. So, motor will crank. Just need to replace this cable now.

SeaCup
07-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Pretty easy fix. You can get the cable for under $40 plus shipping from Discount Inboard Marine. www.skidim.com Just route new cable and at the throttle leave 1/8" of the cable exposed behind the barrel connector and adjust cable length to the trans side in the neutral detent. Test to make sure that it engages the forward and reverse detents as well before you launch her. Good luck!

addictedoffroad
07-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Pretty easy fix. You can get the cable for under $40 plus shipping from Discount Inboard Marine. www.skidim.com Just route new cable and at the throttle leave 1/8" of the cable exposed behind the barrel connector and adjust cable length to the trans side in the neutral detent. Test to make sure that it engages the forward and reverse detents as well before you launch her. Good luck!

Okay, so I pulled the current one. Its a 16ft. Anyone know the thread pitch on this off the top of your head? I don't want to order the wrong one. I assume is the 10/32nds 3.4 pitch listed. :confused:

This looks like the correct one:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=UFLC2X16

Cloaked
07-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Okay, so I pulled the current one. Its a 16ft. Anyone know the thread pitch on this off the top of your head? I don't want to order the wrong one. I assume is the 10/32nds 3.4 pitch listed. :confused:

This looks like the correct one:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=UFLC2X16That looks correct.

Good people to deal with anytime of the day.

Once you get the cable on, and the control back together, you may need to adjust the movement of the cable to get it to secure the neutral safety switch into position. I have seen the cable not extended enough to push the switch into its proper position, not allowing the engine to start. Just a heads up. Don't ask me how I know.

For the 81 model and while you have the control apart, consider replacing the throttle cable as well. $0.02.

SeaCup
07-07-2012, 08:22 PM
You got it. I you have a doubt take the barrel off and match it to a know bolt size or bring it to Ace Hardware to double check. My '79 used that size barrel too. If you have a doubt just order the barrel for a few extra bucks for insurance.

As a little side trick I put a thin nylon washer between the barrel and the throttle plate to (1) take out all the slop and (2) I can thin the washer down with sand paper to get a little friction to help keep the throttle steady during a pull. You can custom taylor the amount you need. I used one of Vince's cable clamps but seemed like it could damage the cable/housing after a year or two of use. Vince and Richard at DIM are awesome, email or call them, they can help you with anything. Enjoy!

addictedoffroad
07-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Ok, thx. I ordered it along with some other TLC parts.

Appling77
07-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Did you get the shift cable installed? How was it? I'm about to do mine today on my 91. Little nervous about screwing something up. I've never been good at cables ie bike brake cables etc. lol

Appling77
07-16-2012, 01:16 AM
I tried to get in there and change mine but I couldn't get my hands back there then I tried unscrewing the lever from the wall but it wouldn't come out enough to work on. If you put the new one on just like the old one will the adjustment be ok. I'm kinda nervous about messing up the adjustment.

addictedoffroad
07-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Did you get the shift cable installed? How was it? I'm about to do mine today on my 91. Little nervous about screwing something up. I've never been good at cables ie bike brake cables etc. lol

Just did mine. Literally took 15 minutes. I set each end at around 1/8" of shaft shpwing. Fed it down from the top under the dash and pulled it through. Unbolted the throttle mechanism and it seems to be fine. I will let you know more after I get it on the lake in the next few days.

sam196370
07-27-2012, 10:39 AM
I did mine last weekend ('79 SNS) and I thought duct taping the new one to the old one and pulling it through made the job A LOT easier.

I replaced mine because metal cover on throttle cable broke @ gearshift and it wasn't shifting into reverse but now it still doesn't shift into reverse. Anyone have a pic of how the cables hook up to the back of the throttle? It seems mine aren't attached correctly.

Thanks