PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Boat - Big concern if considering purchase?

TripleThreat
07-06-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm back in the market for a 1999 or 2000 205 or 205v (preferably) and am wondering about what I should be concerned about with any boat that has seen time in salt water.

I know that my preference would be to find a fresh water only boat, but in the event that I come across one that has seen salt water use, what should I be concerned about?

BriEOD
07-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Your thread will likely generate a variety of opinions. First and foremost, regardless of where the boat has been used, the most important consideration is how well it has been cared for. I myself use my boat in brackish water. Some folks on here will tell you there is a special spot in hell for people like me using their boats in non-freshwater mediums. All that said, my biggest concerns would be the trailer and the motor. The painted steel MC trailers do not like saltwater. Moreover, water gets into the interior of the trailer rails and can literally rust from the inside out. Too, take a look at the motor mounts and and exhaust manifolds. If they are showing a lot of use, it could spell trouble. Again, I go back to how well has the boat been cared for? I flush my boat after every use and keep the motor wiped down and clean. I have a galvanized trailer too.

Good luck.

Cloaked
07-07-2012, 06:45 AM
..... Some folks on here will tell you there is a special spot in hell for people like me using their boats in non-freshwater mediums. .......
Good luck.A classic... :D :D

Voodoo
07-07-2012, 08:14 AM
My '87 ProStar has about 1300 hours, 800+ of which are salt water -- all original and still running. I keep waiting for the inside of the motor to implode from corrosion but so far so good. Like the others have said, good maintenance will to a large extent mitigate salt water induced problems.

Voodoo

Jim@BAWS
07-07-2012, 02:38 PM
I flush my boat after every use and keep the motor wiped down and clean. I have a galvanized trailer too.

Good luck.

And a nice galvinized trailer to boot...I might add!!

tommyadrian5
07-07-2012, 06:16 PM
I've used my boat in the same brackish water for 12 years (1999 sportstar). All original. Galvanized trailer from the start. Flush after every use, zero problems.

SkiDog
07-07-2012, 07:43 PM
And a nice galvinized trailer to boot...I might add!!

And the time has finally come, Tricky needs one NOW! His broke in half today.:D

Jim@BAWS
07-07-2012, 07:50 PM
And the time has finally come, Tricky needs one NOW! His broke in half today.:D

I am already on it...we talked Friday I was out..and I think you know why..

Jim@BAWS

TripleThreat
07-07-2012, 08:11 PM
One other question, if I find an older boat that needs interior work, what is a ballpark cost with completely replacing the interior in a 205, including carpet? Assuming I disassemble everything myself, recreate or repair any of the wooden understructure, take the stuff to a shop and pick it up and install it all myself once it is all redone?