PDA

View Full Version : well pertronix ignitor II conversion lasted 4 boat trips.back to points i go

pbgbottle
07-06-2012, 11:05 PM
well just thought i would post up,
i just did the pertronix ignitor II #91582 conversion with flamethrower II epoxy coil #45111 it lasted 4 trips and died half way through the day .
left me floating till a tow arrived DOH! no points on board my bad ,
anyways .how many others have had a bad ignitor or ignitor II ,
should i put another one back in . or try the mallory or keep the points .
im not a fan of the points . the coil tested out fine .my voltage was fine i did bypass the resistor ,checked the dizzy and it had a good ground. all was worknig great .went for a full throttle blast down the lake . turned it off for lunch just floating in the middle of the lake
went to start her up and she was dead .

is there a test for diagnostics for the module.
i want to confirm for sure she is dead. i,m pretty sure she is .

i even jumped the ignitor direct to the battery just to make sure it was getting the full 12 volts .i also made sure the battery was fully charged. i checked everything .
and brought my buddy over who is a mechanic and he tested everything . grounds voltages resistance on certain wires just to make sure i had no faulty wires. he said everything checks out fine ,and was pretty sure it is the module.

anybody have any other input pertronix has not got back to me yet .
i would like the EI for my vacation in two weeks 14 days of fun on the lake.
it just seems like the motor liked the EI better than the points . i did readjust the timing.
checked .gap at .18 dwell showed up at 26 manual says it should be 30. not sure how to adjust that yet. im new to points.

Matt L.
07-07-2012, 01:34 AM
Their tech support was really great to me when I was having ignition problems. None were their fault. I was only getting 7.5 volts to the coil due to corrosion on the old wiring. Likely out until Monday, but I'll bet they square you away rapidly.

Good Luck!

Matt

PS Mine has run great for 8 years.

TRBenj
07-09-2012, 11:24 AM
2 different friends of mine tried Pertronix and both caused major running issues. Both went back to points and have been running great since.

I'd leave the points personally... but if you want to gamble on another EI, definitely avoid Pertronix. Mallory seems to be more reliable- though I have one of those modules that is toasted as well.

pbgbottle
07-11-2012, 12:21 AM
well have not heard back from pertronix so i have the points back in and setup and got the dwell all squared away ,she runs like a top . so who knows what i will do i guess i will have a spare module to put in next year .lol and give EI another try .

imracin68j
07-11-2012, 12:55 AM
well have not heard back from pertronix so i have the points back in and setup and got the dwell all squared away ,she runs like a top . so who knows what i will do i guess i will have a spare module to put in next year .lol and give EI another try .

I got stuck in the middle of the lake with a point, went to HEI and never have to think about it. Way cleaner install as well.

pbgbottle
07-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Where did you get the HEI from. Was it for the ford.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Did you call them? I have gotten right through in the past.

TRBenj
07-11-2012, 02:05 PM
I got stuck in the middle of the lake with a point, went to HEI and never have to think about it. Way cleaner install as well.
You can file a points set and get back to the dock under your own power. Good luck fixing a EI module on the fly! (Read: you'll be paddling or getting towed. Yes, this has happened to me.)

Ive got dead EI modules of all flavors in my basement- Prestolite, Mallory and Pertronix. I would consider running the Prestolite or Mallory again. I wouldnt put a Pertronix in my lawnmower. Points have their merits though- unless youve got plans for big hp that require an upgraded ignition system, I wouldnt go EI. Cheap, perform well, and reliable. My most reliable boat runs points and I havent touched them since I tuned it up 5 years ago.

I also have several boats with HEI style ignitions. The only marine HEI available for Fords is the DUI from Performance Distributors (http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm), as far as I know. Great piece, but spendy.

imracin68j
07-11-2012, 04:25 PM
So carry a spare module if it worrys you. I've ran them in my race car, street car etc. They rarely fail. You can get the marine ones on ebay for 250ish. Its a no brainer. I was always having to set points, buy new points etc. All that is gone. I don't even think about my ignition anymore. Set it and forget it.

http://www.aaamarine.com/servlet/the-2267/FordCruiserMarine-HEI-marine-electronic/Detail

Spare module - 40 bucks (doubt you'll need it.)

http://www.aaamarine.com/servlet/the-2303/AAA-MARINE-HEI-high/Detail

pbgbottle
07-12-2012, 01:02 AM
thanks for posting the links do you have a picture of one installed in a ford.??

So carry a spare module if it worrys you. I've ran them in my race car, street car etc. They rarely fail. You can get the marine ones on ebay for 250ish. Its a no brainer. I was always having to set points, buy new points etc. All that is gone. I don't even think about my ignition anymore. Set it and forget it.

http://www.aaamarine.com/servlet/the-2267/FordCruiserMarine-HEI-marine-electronic/Detail

Spare module - 40 bucks (doubt you'll need it.)

http://www.aaamarine.com/servlet/the-2303/AAA-MARINE-HEI-high/Detail