PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Nick911
07-06-2012, 03:23 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/4ac6968e-2d25-70aa.jpg

The manual is hazy on what this is. Do
I need open this regularly as clean it out?

jkski
07-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Looks like a raw water intake filter. Does the hose leading to it come directly off the bottom of the boat and the hose leading out go to the water pump?
If so then it is the filter and if you just check it to make sure you don't suck-up any junk into it you should be fine. If you are on a lake with a lot of seaweed or that is very shallow, you may pull some stuff up into it, the key is to make sure that it gets cleaned out as not to restrict the water going to the engine.
Hope this helps.

smsbrett
07-06-2012, 03:36 PM
That's exactly what it is... new in 2010. Make sure that cover gets fully seated when you close it back up, though. Mine is right up against the compartment wall and the first time I put it back on, apparently it was slightly angled so the seal wasn't perfect and it was sucking air in which limited the amount of water it could pull through the engine and lead to some temporary overheating issues until we figured it out.

jkski
07-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Not sure if you do your own winterizing but if you do, make sure that whatever type of antifreeze you use, makes its way thru this and make sure the seal is dry. I have seen on other brands of boats where these are prone to crack if you don't properly winterize. Also, not a bad idea to put a little petroleum jelly or silicone spray on the seal just to help keep it from drying out and cracking allowing the air leak.

Nick911
07-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys!