PDA

View Full Version : 87 prostar nav lights

indyprostar190
07-06-2012, 01:46 PM
I bought a 87 prostar 190 and the Nav lights do not work, any suggestions on the best way to get them working? Thanks

homer12
07-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Recently had the same problem with a Tristar 190 I just picked up in May. I replaced bulb and didn't fix it. There is a spring inside the nav light (you have to take it off and take it apart) and the spring is part of the electrical path to the bulb. Mine was rusted and corroded and not making a good electrical connection. I eliminated the spring by stripping the wire back attached to the spring and bending the top piece of metal to hold the bulb in.

It sounds confusing without a pic, but I think if you open up the light you will see. Also, when I took my light off, I confirmed there was 12V at the wires also. If you don't have 12V there with the nav switch on your problem may be elsewhere.

fintek9
07-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Ditto, same with mine a couple years back. Mine had a mind of it's own when it wanted to work,

Most times I could hit the top of the light with my hand and it would work all night...then not...I unscrewed the 3 screws at the light, unscrewed the screws on the underside and cleaned it good never had a problem since