PDA

View Full Version : Trailering with Bimini?

snobinge
07-05-2012, 10:53 PM
I have a 98' 205 and never used our Bimini until recently.....kids! :)

My question is what is the best way to travel with it. I have only done short distances and have just put it in it's boot and let it rest on the motor cover. I have a 6hr drive coming up and thought I would get some advice.

Thanks!

loeweb
07-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I lay mine down and tie to the grab rails for added support.

cf_koch
07-06-2012, 07:26 AM
I put mine in its boot and tow with tow with it up. I always tow with a custom Mouring cover in place and do not have anywhere to put the bimini when I tow.

silverblueBP
07-06-2012, 08:15 AM
In boot, laying on top of the engine box. I've yet to see it move up to 70 mph.

snobinge
07-06-2012, 09:31 AM
cf koch....Trying to understand how you do this. If mine is up it is spread out, how do you have it up and put it in the boot. My bimini uses straps in both directions.

-V-
07-06-2012, 09:39 AM
When I tow for more than an hour, I take mine off and lay it in the floor. I also do the same for the tower speakers. Bimini is two thumb screws and the tower speakers are on bolt each. Less air restriction. Getting ready to make the drive back to Texas next week and that is how I will tow.

ntidsl
07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I take mine off the connectors completely, place in boot and lay on floor. I wouldn't suggest leaving on or up for sure. The swaying can create spider cracks. I just wouldnt take the chance as it only takes 5 minutes to disassemble. Better safe than sorry.

snobinge
07-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Does it fit on the floor in a direct drive? Guessing top along passenger side walkway and legs going front and rear of engine??

Thrall
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Does it fit on the floor in a direct drive? Guessing top along passenger side walkway and legs going front and rear of engine??

Yes it does, at least both biminis I had on my 190 would fit as you described

east tx skier
07-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Mine is completely removed, boot on, laying in the floor like this (picture not to scale) ;)

Because the observer seat in the 205 has that aft curve in it, it might be a tighter squeeze on that side, but I think it still works (or it did with my old 205).

Double D
07-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Mine is completely removed, boot on, laying in the floor like this (picture not to scale) ;)

Because the observer seat in the 205 has that aft curve in it, it might be a tighter squeeze on that side, but I think it still works (or it did with my old 205).

Did you actually sketch that up just for this conversation?? Oh, boy! You have too much time on your hands and should be on the water. :D

I tow with mine up and in the boot strapped to the tower. You can see it in this picture... My brother does what Easti does....

Willski
07-06-2012, 11:15 AM
I do what eastie does too. It is a pain as mine is the stainless bimini and pretty heavy. If Il leave mine laid back on the engine cover, the rear supports rest on the fiberglass, which is no good!

02ProstarSammyD
07-06-2012, 11:28 AM
I have the big obnoxious non folding aerial one. I just unzip if I'm going to be going over 45-50mph but I like 4 miles from the lake so never a big deal. I figure if I'm going no faster than the boat can whats the difference? If hwy speeds yes take it down

snobinge
07-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the drawing Eastie. You go above and beyond to help a fellow inboard owner! I will definitely use this method for my trip.

atlfootr
07-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Completely unattached and wedged inside the boat between the driver and observer seat

cf_koch
07-07-2012, 08:38 AM
cf koch....Trying to understand how you do this. If mine is up it is spread out, how do you have it up and put it in the boot. My bimini uses straps in both directions.

This pic should show how my bimini is supported while trailering.

gatorguy
07-07-2012, 10:43 AM
When I tow for more than an hour, I take mine off and lay it in the floor. I also do the same for the tower speakers. Bimini is two thumb screws and the tower speakers are on bolt each. Less air restriction. Getting ready to make the drive back to Texas next week and that is how I will tow.

I do the same thing. Just starting day 2 of 2500mile Lake Powell trip. One week with family, then one week on the houseboat.