PDA

View Full Version : Impressed w/friend and low bow

h2oskifreak
07-05-2012, 07:41 PM
My HS buddy came to town today and wanted to go skiing. We spend several summers skiing in high school together behind a 23 ft. deep v with a 200 horse Evenrude (it loved gas). The wake was big but we were young and decent skiers and just not afraid to charge the wake.
Fast fwd 15 years and he skied 1 summer with me behind an Nautique and made the course a few times at 15' off 30-32 mph. Fast fwd to today; another 12-14 years and at 47 (today was his birthday) he made the course at 15 off 3rd try at 30 mph. I was impressed for as little as he skied the last 25 years and is pretty out of shape. It will be interesting to see when he comes over for steaks tomorrow if he can feed himself from the soreness. It all boiled down to form and not being afraid to charge the wake and be in position.
Second point; I usually ski with one partner on a private lake so one person in my 190 (94) when we ski. Today I had 3 adults and 2 sm. kids in the boat while my buddy skied and holy crap the bow was almost under water when I turned to p/u skier. I will never load my boat like this again. Driver and 1 passenger as far as I am concerned. The water never came oner the bow but that is because I throttled it when I saw it look like it was going to submarine. Is this common in the 91-94 190's?

Philscbx
07-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Submarine Style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=68AOltMu768)

h2oskifreak
07-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Submarine Style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=68AOltMu768)

I DO NOT WANT TO EVER DO THAT

JohnE
07-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I can't believe that a 190 should sit that low that you need to worry.

O2BESOHUGE
07-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Thats Just Crazy! He Probably Just Shorted Everything Electrical In That Boat!

08M3Sedanski
07-06-2012, 08:50 AM
While surfing for the first time in our X2 yesterday, I crossed our wake going back to pick up our fallen rider at too low of speed and filled the boat with about 4 inches of water in a split second! Lesson learned :) . By the end of the next pass the water was all drained out. We had the left and center ballast tanks full and one of the surf tabs fully extended. Within a few minutes of our first pass we had all the jet skis on the lake following back behind us jumping our wake.

19_Skier
07-06-2012, 09:00 AM
if you are worried about burying the nose, why not wait to turn around until after the rollers have went by? As long as the person in the water has given the OK signal, I am in no hurry to get back to them, all it does is send more rollers across the course/lake if you are on the throttle while turning.

I continually have 2 adults and 2 young kids spotting but have never felt like my bow would submarine.

h2oskifreak
07-06-2012, 09:57 AM
if you are worried about burying the nose, why not wait to turn around until after the rollers have went by? As long as the person in the water has given the OK signal, I am in no hurry to get back to them, all it does is send more rollers across the course/lake if you are on the throttle while turning.

I continually have 2 adults and 2 young kids spotting but have never felt like my bow would submarine.

A great point. When I ski w/ my buddy we ski shortline and with my novice friend I was much quicker to turn around. Normally, I idle turn around to keep things mellow. That was a big change and makes a lot of sense.

08M3Sedanski
07-06-2012, 11:54 AM

That is exactly what I do now. The lake was very busy the last few days and I was really trying to get back to fallen rider very quickly... but a few more seconds avoiding the rollers works fine.

02ProstarSammyD
07-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Always wait. We just make sure everyone knows to give the "ok" signal. I usually ride 8 or so in a 209 which has a dirty low bow (not all in the bow obvs). I have taken water 1 or 2x but everyone else driving will do it the first few times. That little of weight should be a non issue. Start coming into neutral and just letting the rollers pass then go back. I thought 190's didn't make wakes :P

tdjaster
07-06-2012, 04:26 PM

Never would try this. Ever.

If you're a good enough driver, you shouldn't ever take water in the bow.