PDA

View Full Version : 2000 X-Star ZF Transmission

redraider08
07-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I bought a 2000 X-star a couple of months ago with 170 hours on it that had obviously spent a lot of time sitting there not being used. I bought it on consignment at a delership and they told me there was some water in the transmission due to a bad transmission fluid cooler. They said they changed out the fluid a couple of times and believed they got all of the water out after installing a good used cooler. Not knowing much about inboards at the time i took there word for it. I checked the transmision fluid on it last week before takeing it out on the water and noticed it was pink/milky. So i bought a hand pump and some transmission fluid and changed it before last weekend and monitored the fluid level throughout the weekend. While the fluid was still pink and milky, i didn't notice any change in the fluid level and put about 10 hours on the boat. So i'm thinking that means the seal is not leaking and the cooler is good, i just need to change the fluid a few times to get all the water out. So with all that being said, i have a couple of quesitons:

1) Where is the best place to pump the fluid out at? I attached a picture of something that looks like it could be removed, but not real sure what it is. I think i read in a forum to pump out the fluid from the filter, maybe this is where the filter is?

2) How much fluid does the tranny hold? I have only been about to pump out about 3 L.

3) Any idea on how many times i will need to change the fluid before it cleans up?

4) I read that in 2001 inmar began to recomend using 15W40 motor oil due to rattleing from 1000-1200 rpm. I noticed mine does rattle at those RPM's this past weekend so i thought about changing fluids once i get all the water out. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for all the advise!

redraider08
07-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Below are the pics

redraider08
07-05-2012, 05:10 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=81158&stc=1&d=1341519130[/IMG]

fintek9
07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I have the 01 X-Star and seems to be par that the fluid gets milky, The seals where replaced, the cooler was pressure checked and all was good. So I just change it from time to time throughout the summer with the 15w40 aI've had no problems yet in the 7yrs I've owned it and I put between 150 to 200 hrs a year on it.

Suck the fluid out from the dipstick with the pump.

You should be OK.

wrobins1
07-06-2012, 10:40 AM
PM me your email address and I may be able to send you a repair manual I found for ZF 63 IV transmission which is what is in my 2002 x-star and should at least be similar to your transmission.

G-Star
07-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Your pic looks like the transmission fluid filter cap/cover. Probably a good idea to pop that filter out and clean inside the housing and rinse the filter out to get rid of any residual water.

I've found that you need to jiggle the vacuum/pump suction hose around quite a bit to get it near to the bottom of the transmission when you go to extract the fluid. It'll also help if it's warm.

You might as well switch to 15w-40 while you're doing the flush as well. Will probably get rid of that rattle.

mtajpa
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Check out the following post lots of good info.
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22552&highlight=transmission