PDA

View Full Version : Safe product to remove adhesive

h2oskifreak
07-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Need to remove a prior owners regristration letters from my gel coat. What products would be best/safest. Acetone/alchol or something else? Thanks in advance.

JDC
07-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Acetone would be my choice for removing the adhesive.

BGcraft
07-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Goof-off will work although acetone cuts to the chase a lot quicker.

Clean up well and just re-wax area after you're done.

Good luck and happy 4th!

BG

kskonn
07-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Goo gone or 3M adhesive remover. Relax when done

JimN
07-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Need to remove a prior owners registration letters from my gel coat. What products would be best/safest. Acetone/alcohol or something else? Thanks in advance.

Vinyl, or paint? If vinyl, a hair dryer. If paint, Goo Gone, Goof Off, etc. I wouldn't leave acetone on for too long because it softens gel coat, even long after it has cured.

nickespi
07-05-2012, 01:11 AM
3M Eraser Wheel. Used it when I pulled my huge X-30 decals. Took about 5-10 mins each side to get all the adhesive off. Much quicker than solvents, and safer.

h2oskifreak
07-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Vinyl, or paint? If vinyl, a hair dryer. If paint, Goo Gone, Goof Off, etc. I wouldn't leave acetone on for too long because it softens gel coat, even long after it has cured.

Glue, left behind when I peeled off vynal letters.

Jerseydave
07-05-2012, 03:42 AM
Goo Gone works great for me
You can also use WD-40 but it's not as fast

h2oskifreak
07-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Goo gone or 3M adhesive remover. Relax when done

Used the GooGone because I had some handy and was scared of the Acetone. It worked but it was a chore. Did one side and my hand was sore and back a little tired. I thought, if I'm going to ski today I'll do the other side another day. I washed it off with water when done and waxed the spot. Looks good. Thanks everybody.

ctjahn
07-05-2012, 08:29 PM

Agreed. If you work a hair drier or a propane torch you can soften the vinyl and it will peel off easy with the backing (esp really old stuff prone to cracking, breaking and being an overall pain)

Jeffer
07-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Goof Off always works for me - but flip your rag/cloth often. The Goof Off softens the adhesive, but if you don't change the cloth surface often, you just wind up spreading the soft adhesive around and around...

millpondkid
07-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Use paint thinner. Worked great on mine. I'm a painter so its always nearby in the wrk van. Goof off is more for latex materials, like denatured alcohol.