PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Bent prop shaft!

Nords
07-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Just fount out that the prop shaft on my '08 X2 is slightly bent. used a dial indicator and it was out 0.006'' just wondering how to remove the prop shaft from the transmission? Any info. will be helpful. Thanks guys.

Cloaked
07-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Just fount out that the prop shaft on my '08 X2 is slightly bent. used a dial indicator and it was out 0.006'' just wondering how to remove the prop shaft from the transmission? Any info. will be helpful. Thanks guys.Where did you get information that 0.006" is out of tolerance? Does the shaft create a vibration or any issues of performance? Just curious.

Six thousandths is not all that much for a run-out on a dial indicatior that may not be calibrated to within even half of that number. Just saying. In my opinion, don't go yanking out parts for no relative reason or without a specification tolerance of which to compare.

If it is creating an obvious issue, that is reason enough but to just put a dial indicator on it and see a deviation, I would not over-react with disassembly and replacement.

On the other hand, 0.006" is indeed considerable but I relate that to specifications/tolerances on pump shafts, etc from 25 years of work in nuclear power plants.

Nords
07-04-2012, 07:32 PM
I had a machinist put a dial indicator on the shaft. He fixes bent prop shafts for our local boat dealership. He indicated that the max tolerance shouldn't be any more than 4 thou out. Im just going by what he said, his is not my area of expertise.

Hrkdrivr
07-04-2012, 08:40 PM
V-drive? Pull the prop, remove the nut at the other end of the prop shaft at the coupler, remove the four nuts/bolts that connect the coupler to the tranny flange, remove the coupler from the front of the prop shaft (may need to fashion a puller to get this off, do a search), cover the splines/threads on the forward end of the prop shaft to protect the shaft seal (on the shaft log where the shaft exits the boat), I sprayed soapy water in the shaft in front of the shaft seal to lube it up and ease it out from the back. If it's really bent and/or the strut is bent, you might need to drop the rudder to get the shaft out; mine wouldnt clear the rudder. Here's a thread about my damage:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48427

Check the stut carefully to see if it's bent too. If the shaft won't easily go back through the hole in the bottom of the boat the strut is probably bent. Good luck.

Cloaked
07-04-2012, 09:19 PM
I had a machinist put a dial indicator on the shaft. He fixes bent prop shafts for our local boat dealership. He indicated that the max tolerance shouldn't be any more than 4 thou out. Im just going by what he said, his is not my area of expertise.Excellent. That is all I was getting at. Your initial post left a little to be determined. If he says 4kths is the tolerance, then you need to do some tweaking. How did you determine that it was a problem to begin? Vibration? Just curious...

Nords
07-05-2012, 07:44 AM
cool thanks guys for helping me out, i owe ya.

yea sorry about that, I had hit a stump or something last weekend, bending the prop slightly. so I wanted to see if the shaft might have been bent too.

Cloaked
07-05-2012, 11:17 AM
cool thanks guys for helping me out, i owe ya.

yea sorry about that, I had hit a stump or something last weekend, bending the prop slightly. so I wanted to see if the shaft might have been bent too.I often wonder just how hard some of these guys actually hit a stump. I mean, once the prop is subjected to the force and is damaged, that shaft is one tough and solid piece of material. Takes a lot to bend a shaft, or maybe not as much as I would have thought.

Best in getting it replaced.

Tom190driver
07-06-2012, 07:01 PM
If u use a private lake then u can keep it CLEAN, but for the rest of us public lakes is all we get!