PDA

View Full Version : 93 maristar won't start

Mahoney86
07-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Chevy 454 engine. Had the boat out last night for wake boarding and she ran great. Put her on the trailer and home to wash. Went to launch this am in noticed volts were low so I swapped batteries quick. Volts are normal and I only get one click when I turn the key. Not from the alternator but from what sounds like a relay on the back of the engine that has a big black cap with a red fuse button with the number 50 on it. The previous owner said the starter, cap and alternator were changed during the winter. Any ideas before I bring to the mechanic tomorrow?

Thanks

woodnnn
07-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Try taping the starter with a hammer. Sometimes the starter drive gets stuck. It might Also be your starter solinoid. I think it is the wrong spelling. But try that. The solinoid is cheap and a tap from a hammer is free. Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mahoney86
07-05-2012, 12:52 PM
hopefully that does the trick, I will try it out this afternoon when I get home from work. I hear the solenoid clicking when I turn the key so, my hopeful guess is just the starter is frozen. Fingers crossed

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Check the main ground on your block mine did similar last year....just a click. Good Luck

Philscbx
07-05-2012, 01:54 PM
You'd have to hit the starter & key at the same time - if this works - starter needs to be rebuilt.
It's a sign the brushes are hanging up & or solenoid are damaged.

Only if battery is fully charged, and all connections are good.

Usually 'click only' is because there is not enough amps to force the starter / relay to fully function.

With meter / volt drop should not go lower than 10.5v at the battery during crank mode.

Removing starter / clean/lube - it could recover.

Mahoney86
07-05-2012, 02:42 PM
what throws me off is I had a new battery at home that i swapped at the boat ramp when the first one seemed dead. I bought the battery only a few days ago, so unless it was dead from West Marine.

Everytime I start the boat it seems slow turning over. Not like a car starting or a lawnmower etc... Its just very slow. Is that normal how these older boats start?

Mahoney86
07-05-2012, 06:31 PM
OK a few taps on the starter and we are good. Is there a part number on the starter, i didn't see one. Hopefully its an easy change and that i can find one locally. Thanks for the help everyone

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-05-2012, 06:36 PM
You need a marine starter the go to place for this stuff is Skidim

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1030

Give them a call if you have questions...great customer service.

psychobilly
07-05-2012, 09:12 PM
If you have the Silent Master exhaust, get ready to remove them in order to pull the starter....