PDA

View Full Version : Rear Seat rebuild

richardsoncd
08-25-2005, 02:39 PM
I am going to start building a new bench seat for my S&S, it didn't have one when I bought it. Does anyone know where I would go to get the foam and vinyll, or is anyone willing to sell a rear seat?

east tx skier
08-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Hi Richard. I replied in the other thread. I've seen seat foam at Hancock fabrics (or a similar store). I'm refabing an OEM jump seat for my 93 205. I ordered the vinyl replacement from MC. That way, there's not guessing as to dimensions.

pilot02
08-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I would contact your local upholstery supply and then look at the different foams available (different weight ratings such as 44# 80# 120#. In Atlanta, B&A supply on Marjan Drive has a wide variety. While re-doing the interior of my Tristar, I'm changing to the 120# for the seat bases to raise the driver as well as provide more cushion for bumps. Foam's not cheap though, it nearly doubled in price in the past year due to the cost of oil. For a 2x24x80 piece, I paid $45 2-3 months ago whereas I'd paid in the $20's last summer for a similar piece. Also, as funny as it may seem, the foam is difficult to cut so that it won't show the uneven lines once you get the vynil over it. Through asking lots of questions, I've found that an electric filet knife works great for straight cuts and general shaping and then for the curved areas, make the initial cuts with the filet knife and then use a belt sander with a coarse belt to actually shape the foam. Works very well.....

ski_king
08-25-2005, 08:54 PM
I butchered up some foam once using a knife, The upholstery supply said I should have used a band saw.