PDA

View Full Version : Getting started on Wakeboard

Badger1
07-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Any advice on how to get my 7 year old up on a wakeboard? All he's done succesfully is kneeboard so far. I've got an X25 with swim platform. Thanks.

snork
07-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Slowly...have him keep his legs bent so he has a low center of gravity, for starters.
If he get pulled over the front have him sit on his heels
if you're trying to figure out if he's left foot or right foot forward its strong leg forward back leg while riding behind boat is normally bent at the knees, relaxed.
after he consistently gets pulled up have him Stand Tall Stand Proud.
Let the boat and wakeboard do all the work don't let him fight it

kgrove
07-03-2012, 02:46 PM
I've found with the little guys it helps if you can do it someplace where you can safely have somebody in the water with them. They have a hard time keeping the bottom of the board pointed straight at the boat without drifting to one side or another, so if somebody can hold them it helps. If they fall on their stomach, they also tend to have a hard time flipping over to their back, so you may need somebody to jump in and flip them.

I tried a new one last week that seemed to help on the start. I pulled them in real close, then I got them in the same position they should be in to start and with the bottom of the board against the swim deck. Then I pulled the handle and had them use the swim deck like a fulcrum to simulate the boat pulling them up. This gave them the sensation of what they should do in the water. It seemed to work as I got a 7 and 8 year old each up for their first times with much less difficulty than I've had in the past.

bcd
07-03-2012, 06:12 PM
+1 for having someone in the water. I've actually had a lot of luck using a surfboard (although this was only with older newbies). Not having their feet locked in forces them into proper body position. The surfboard's extra surface area helps with popping them up easier, but with a 7 year old, it might be too much.

Also, go with a really short rope off the tower. That will provide more lift.

jafo9
07-04-2012, 02:40 PM
A trick I heard this year was to tell them to focus on keeping their toes pointed up during the deep water start. This has the effect of keeping their heels down which keeps the attitude of the board correct and thus prevents the "roll over" effect.

kgrove
07-04-2012, 02:59 PM
+1 for having someone in the water. I've actually had a lot of luck using a surfboard (although this was only with older newbies). Not having their feet locked in forces them into proper body position. The surfboard's extra surface area helps with popping them up easier, but with a 7 year old, it might be too much.

I hadn't thought of using surfing as a "pre-wakeboarding" instruction tool, but I like the logic. I think you're right that it may not work for a7 year old, however. I tried teaching my 10 year old to wake surf, and he had difficulty getting up because the board had so much float compared to his body that he could never dig his heels in and get the water pressure to flip the board against his feet. The board just kept sliding along the surface. I fixed it by getting a skim style board that has very little flotation... I could see this possibly working for a 7 year old.

bcd
07-04-2012, 03:54 PM
I got my friend's 50+ yr old mother up on a surf board last weekend. The board was to big for her to push down, so I got in and held it down in position and told the driver to hit it. She popped right up. You can even guide the board during start up.

Badger1
07-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Going out now to give 'em a try.

mlawler34
07-08-2012, 11:49 AM
All great advice.

As another idea no one has really mentioned, I have a buddy who cannot get up out of the water for his life. All of us can just have the driver hit and we are right out of the water. We have to do what we call the training wheels pull with him. He gets in the correct position (knees to the chest toes up heels down) and we literally drag him in the water, starting with throttle just in gear and very slowly increasing the speed, there is a point where you see him and the board start to come out of the water, its actually at a much slower speed than you think , and once we see that we gun it! It has worked for a lot of the older beginners i have ridden with. Maybe it could help your son out too.

coz
07-08-2012, 12:52 PM
I've found with the little guys it helps if you can do it someplace where you can safely have somebody in the water with them. They have a hard time keeping the bottom of the board pointed straight at the boat without drifting to one side or another, so if somebody can hold them it helps. If they fall on their stomach, they also tend to have a hard time flipping over to their back, so you may need somebody to jump in and flip them.

Best way to do it :headbang:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/lake028.jpg

Badger1
07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Success! Got him up today. I tried the swim platform thing for a couple of days. He popped right out of the water on his first try! Thanks Again!

Duane D
07-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Great thread! We have been trying the last few times out to get my kids up on their board. They both (7 and 5 yrs) can stand up immediately, and then just as quickly, they fall down. I have tried everything I could think of to get them to keep their balance, but they still fall. I got some good tips out of this thread and I hope to get them both up next time out!

snork
07-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Great thread! We have been trying the last few times out to get my kids up on their board. They both (7 and 5 yrs) can stand up immediately, and then just as quickly, they fall down. I have tried everything I could think of to get them to keep their balance, but they still fall. I got some good tips out of this thread and I hope to get them both up next time out!

Keep low on the board = low center of gravity
Gradually and slowly increase the standing position putting majority of weight on forward foot

kgrove
07-11-2012, 11:08 AM
The next part to consider after they're getting up is how to keep them motivated. With wake boarding, every attempt ends with a crash and some kids associate crashing with failure, not learning. It can be worse for kids with an older sibling who's more skilled. We've tried making the crashes seem fun and even given them ratings like Olympic judges. It can be easy for the little ones to get a scared if they have a bad crash and get water up their nose or something similar. in fact, that's probably a good reason to take it very slow and make sure the kids skill level is progressing before you start increasing speeds.