PDA

View Full Version : leaving the boat in the water

willyt
07-03-2012, 10:21 AM
just curious how many of you, and for how long, leave your boat in the water for. I'm part of a local club that has about 40 or so slips and i have the option of keeping the boat in the water or on the trailer. Obviously, i wouldnt keep it in all summer, but 2-3 days every week or so is normal use for me.

i figure the cycle of in water/on trailer/water/on trailer should be enough to keep the gelcoat dry and prevent blisters.

xbot50000
07-03-2012, 10:26 AM
I keep my boat (03 - X9) in the water all season - usually June - Sept. I have a good sunbrella cover, mooring whips and dock bumpers. Keeps it dry and off the dock. I keep the bilge pump on auto just in case some water gets through, but have never really had a problem. At the end of the year, a little hull cleaner takes off all of the eveidence it had been kept in the lake.

JohnE
07-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I will let mine sit in the water for up to a week occasionally.

NatesGr8
07-03-2012, 10:55 AM
When i got mine it was in the water, the PO had left it in the water all season long for 2-3 years. He claimed to have taken it out once a month for cleaning, but i doubt that. Hull was blister free however.

Now i have a slip for it but picked up a used hydro hoist and would never go without it. My previous boat would sit in the water for a week at most, then i would take it out for a washing. No blisters ever developed on that one (94 prostar) either.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-03-2012, 11:05 AM
My boat is in for the occasional weekend and the annual week-long vacation. The rest of the season in and out the same day.

ricford
07-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Mine's in the water all summer. Never had a problem. I brush the scum off once a week and it gets a good cleaning in the fall, and wax in the spring. No blisters in the gel coat either.

gotta_ski
07-03-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm just like ricford above. Its in the water May-ish until September or October. It does get the hull washed once or twice when we take it to other lakes. Its a boat. It floats. Use the snot out of it.