PDA

View Full Version : Boat stalling on occasions, tune-up parts??

Ski-me
07-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Just starting in on my Sister-in-Law's Cobalt inboard and it does need a little bit of work. She reported last year having it stall on her a few times but I don't know what they attempted to do to resolve it.

We just launched her's yesterday and I drove it across the lake. Not bad but I do need to do some work on it. I'm figuring at least a cap, rotor, plugs and fuel filter.

First question: Can I get these items at a general parts store or are any of them marine specific?? :confused:

Boat:
1999 Cobalt 202cs
Mercury Scorpion 330hp engine
MPI

Any other boats use this engine?

Now back to the stalling. Of course, I have not experienced it but the kids took it back home after dropping me off and as they pulled in to dock.....it quit again.

When I drive it, it's not as snappy as my LT1 but I don't know if that's the prop or what?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

JimN
07-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Just starting in on my Sister-in-Law's Cobalt inboard and it does need a little bit of work. She reported last year having it stall on her a few times but I don't know what they attempted to do to resolve it.

We just launched her's yesterday and I drove it across the lake. Not bad but I do need to do some work on it. I'm figuring at least a cap, rotor, plugs and fuel filter.

First question: Can I get these items at a general parts store or are any of them marine specific?? :confused:

Boat:
1999 Cobalt 202cs
Mercury Scorpion 330hp engine
MPI

Any other boats use this engine?

Now back to the stalling. Of course, I have not experienced it but the kids took it back home after dropping me off and as they pulled in to dock.....it quit again.

When I drive it, it's not as snappy as my LT1 but I don't know if that's the prop or what?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

ALWAYS check fuel pressure when you have performance issues and it has spark.

Get the service history. Without that, it's impossible to have any idea about what it may need.

Ski-me
07-03-2012, 10:10 AM
I will check with her later this morning to see what else they have done to it. Hopefully that will shed a little light.

JimN
07-03-2012, 10:41 AM
I will check with her later this morning to see what else they have done to it. Hopefully that will shed a little light.

If nothing else, call the dealer or shop that serviced it. Other than the brand, it's very similar to the Indmar engines. Same precautions, same maintenance issues, maybe different fuel pump but same potential for issues if bad gas gets into the system.

Ski-me
07-03-2012, 12:35 PM
It doesn't look like very much has been done as far as services. Basically, here are the things replaced:
Re-packed shaft
Changed fluids
New Battery
New Float Switch
New Fuel Filter (large "oil filter looking" type unit)

What I'm going to replace:
plug
cap
rotor
impeller

I did drive it around a bit and what I noticed was on occasion, coming from cruising speed to a stop (neutral), I heard the engine slow down and then surged up to about 1000 rpms for just a second or two, and then back down to normal (700-800 rpms).

It does have some "cool fuel" system on it, whatever that is.

JimN
07-03-2012, 02:56 PM
It doesn't look like very much has been done as far as services. Basically, here are the things replaced:
Re-packed shaft
Changed fluids
New Battery
New Float Switch
New Fuel Filter (large "oil filter looking" type unit)

What I'm going to replace:
plug
cap
rotor
impeller

I did drive it around a bit and what I noticed was on occasion, coming from cruising speed to a stop (neutral), I heard the engine slow down and then surged up to about 1000 rpms for just a second or two, and then back down to normal (700-800 rpms).

It does have some "cool fuel" system on it, whatever that is.

Your info shows Colorado Springs- has the boat always been in that area, or from another part of the country? It may need a high altitude calibration.

I would worry less about the surge- it's fairly common/normal. If you ease down to idle speed, it shouldn't do it very much, if at all. If you take it from a higher RPM to idle quickly, the ECM sees this from the TPS and shuts down the injectors, then opens the IAC when it's close to choking out.

"Cool Fuel" does what it says- keeps the fuel cool to avoid vapor lock, since the pump isn't in the tank.

Ski-me
07-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks Jim for the feedback. I spoke with the Cobalt dealer while getting the parts and he wasn't too worried about it either. He suggested just an injector cleaner and that's about it.

The boat was in Seattle and I think, originally Seattle. Its now in Idaho and the elevation is about 2100 ft. She will eventually bring it back to Billings, MT and the elevation there is around 4000 ft if I recall.