PDA

View Full Version : Stars and Stripes Insurance

tim79mc
07-03-2012, 09:06 AM
All,

I'm looking for insurance for my 1979 Stars and Stripes. I had Skisafe, they've changed to an "ancient mariner's policy" that is going up in price and down in coverage. I checked out the insurance company linked on USA Water Ski and they told me "boat must be less than 20 years old. Please fix the problem." Yeah, that's not happening..

What company does everyone use? My boat is kept on the lake right across the street from my house, we hardly ever go anywhere else. 20 years of boating with no claims - I should make a model insured.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Tim

Jim@BAWS
07-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Global Marine Insurance...Tell em Bay Area told you to call

ski_king
07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Not sure where you are located in the northeast, but I have used Erie Insurance for the last 30 years. Price and coverage seem reasonable. Luckly, I have not had the need to file a claim on the boat, but when I have a couple of times on my home or auto, they were very easy to work with.

bkblaida
07-03-2012, 10:25 AM
We have used Boat US for the last 17 years. (800-283-2883). They are a true "marine" insurance company. Not always the cheapest but when you read the details of the policy they cover a lot more than most. Since we live in Chicago, we take advantage of their winterization rider which insures our boat against freeze damage during the winter providing it was properly winterized. Even covers the "do it yourself" winterization providing you can show proof in the form of receipts for marine antifreeze. In addition they are an active lobbiest in Washington for boat owners and the boating industry. With states like CA trying to increase regulations on boat owners, it makes sense to support a company trying to protect our rights to public boat ramps, open waters to all water sports etc.

madcityskier
07-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Are you insuring liability only? If not be sure to look into stated vs agreed value policies. Also, we changed to ski safe from our home/car agent due to the fact that they don't cover someone who is being towed, or drivers who are not listed on the policy and have had a check of their driving record by the insurer. Bigger part was a stated value policy, whereby if something happened they would still be deciding value by blue book or above assessment of the fair market value as determined by the adjuster. Worth a little extra. You might also try someone who specializes in antique and classic boats, such as Haggerty.
Good luck.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-03-2012, 10:51 AM
I have Boat U.S. and have no complaints.

tph
07-03-2012, 11:44 AM

Ditto.

gid
07-03-2012, 12:44 PM
I have the coverage bundled w. our Home Owners thru State Farm (and the cars, other toys, etc) and have a stated value on it.

ncsone
07-03-2012, 12:53 PM

Same here.

madcityskier
07-03-2012, 02:37 PM
I have the coverage bundled w. our Home Owners thru State Farm (and the cars, other toys, etc) and have a stated value on it.

That was part of our problem. Auto insurers generally offer a stated value policy. Scares me to think of the difference between blue book and actual value of my boat. Went elsewhere to get an agreed value policy. Be aware that this may require a marine survey of your boat, at your expense.

BrianM
07-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Another Boat US customer here.

gid
07-03-2012, 05:46 PM
That was part of our problem. Auto insurers generally offer a stated value policy. Scares me to think of the difference between blue book and actual value of my boat. Went elsewhere to get an agreed value policy. Be aware that this may require a marine survey of your boat, at your expense.

Doubt it - if it sinks or is stolen, nothing to survey. 8k stated value too.

madcityskier
07-03-2012, 09:26 PM
I think you may have a misunderstanding if a marine survey.
http://www.marinesurveyor.com/whysurvy.html
On a boat of this age an insurer may require I've to know that they aren't insuring a vessel that is no longer seaworthy.
Also, stated value means just that, you have stated the value of your vessel. This is very different from an agreed value policy, where the company has agreed to the value of your vessel. If something happens to an agreed value policy vessel, you may be paid up to that value. If it is a stated value policy, the insurer decides the value. If you look at book value vs market value on a tournament ski boat this can be a significant loss. Worth double checking and paying a few bucks more to me. You may feel differently. I would advise looking online for similar boats and comparing the prices to nada on your boat before deciding.