PDA

View Full Version : Tires for suburban

captain planet
07-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Anybody have any recommendation on tires for a half ton 4WD suburban? I'm not looking for top end tires, but rather something middle of the road that is a good tire. I'm considering either General Grabbers or Firestone Wilderness LE. Michelins are more than I want to spend and I tried the Continentals and was unsatisfied.

JohnnyB
07-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Just put the general grabbers on a year and a half ago....worst tires I have owned. Poor wet traction and wore very prematurely. Good mud traction.

Had great results with Firestone Destination ATs....have run 4 sets across 2 trucks..burb and tahoe ..good wear life and great traction in rain, snow, ice, off road, etc. Putting a new set on in fall.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

woobiedmd
07-03-2012, 08:13 AM
I've had great success with Yokohama Geolanders- about 60,000 miles per set of 4 rotating every 5-10K. Good value from Tire Rack.

Hrkdrivr
07-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Goodyear Silent Armors didn't wear well on my two trucks, I think I only got about 35K out of them. I know you said you don't want to spend money on the Michelins, but I have a set on my Excursion and after almost 20K I can't even see any reduction in tread.

d2jp
07-03-2012, 08:57 AM
I had Bridgestones, which were great tires but didn't want to spend the money to replace them. At the suggestion of a buddy in the tire business, I went with Hankook Dynapro's in an LT version. For the money they are a great tire. Going from a passenger tire to an LT it's hard to compare the ride at it's is harsh and the handling (cornering mostly) not quite as good. Braking and wet weather handling is great and tow well. They have extremely good tread life (been on a year) - overall I'd recommend them as a 'bargain' tire and would buy them again.

Edit: 2004 Suburban 1500 awd.

tideengineer
07-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Not much help here...my half has 70k miles and is on its third set of tires...mainly because my 1 mile commute to work isn't real good on tires....Bridgestones...then Coopers....now cheap Marshalls....will try something else next.

TRBenj
07-03-2012, 09:39 AM
+1 on the Firestone Destination AT's. Great tire. Got 98k out of my last set. Great traction in all conditions and very reasonable mileage out of them. Quiet too.

Dad has had several sets of the Geolanders. Good tires, but dont have the traction in all conditions like the Destinations.

I have heard very good things about the Bridgestone Deuler Revo's.

I am currently running BFG ATKO's. Best looking tire of the bunch, good wear characteristics, and great traction in all conditions. Theyre considerably noisier than the Destinations though, are a bit heavy (took a mpg hit) and arent cheap, either. When the time comes, if the Destinations are cheaper, I'll probably go back- or consider going to the Revo's.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Anybody have any recommendation on tires for a half ton 4WD suburban? I'm not looking for top end tires, but rather something middle of the road that is a good tire. I'm considering either General Grabbers or Firestone Wilderness LE. Michelins are more than I want to spend and I tried the Continentals and was unsatisfied.

Check out mastercraft tires, these are less expensive and turning out you be very good tires for tire wear and noise. I would highly recommend these.

johnlanguab
07-03-2012, 09:45 AM
I bought some moderately aggressive all terrain tires on eBay. I didn't have to pay sales tax and the shipping was free:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360424216805?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_922

These are the heavy duty tires, but there are other light duty ones for a little less.

captain planet
07-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Wow, these reviews are all over the place. I get consumer reports and read up on tires because lets face it, everyone has to buy them and they are of considerable expense. So the last time my suburban needed tires I got the #2 tire on the list. The Continental CrossContact. I didn't like them from the start, at least in the way the truck drove and turned and their tread life was about 42K or so.

So this time around I consulted the guy my Dad has been buying tires from for 30+ years and he recommended the Generals or Coopers. I'm not a fan of Cooper tires and have yet to read anything good about them. A buddy of mine works for Goodyear and can get me a bit of a deal....but I have yet to drive on a Goodyear tire that was worth anything. He can also get me Dunlops and recommended the P20? It is an all-terrain tire. I can't fathom putting an AT tire on the suburban when it is on the road 99% of the time.

Somebody recommended the Yokohama tires and mentioned great tread lift. Consumer Reports has them listed as fair with respect to tread life. Conversely, the Generals are listed as having good tread life, yet the first reply to this is the Generals wore out quickly and had poor performance.

The guy that services our company vehicles recommended the Firestone Wilderness LE as it was original equipment and they perform well on the suburban. Reviews of these tires I have read on other sites have not been so complimentary.

I realize that the way one drives and maintains their tires makes a huge difference in how they perform and wear. That being said, I figured coming onto this wonderful forum would get me the most honest and most trustworthy opinions. I appreciate the feedback and will read any responses on here. FWIW, the Hankook Dynapro recommendation is intriguing and the HT version is the #6 tire in the ratings.

jafo9
07-03-2012, 10:08 AM
i know you said you didn't want to spend the money on the michelins, but is it really that much more? i usually wait for a rebate offer from sams or costco to help save a few bucks. i just put a set of the michelin ltx2's on my wifes expedition. great tire. much better than the stock tires. her car also spends 99% of its life on road.

captain planet
07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
i know you said you didn't want to spend the money on the michelins, but is it really that much more? i usually wait for a rebate offer from sams or costco to help save a few bucks. i just put a set of the michelin ltx2's on my wifes expedition. great tire. much better than the stock tires. her car also spends 99% of its life on road.

Well, to be honest I have drug my feet on this for a while and we are going on vacation on Friday so I need tires today. I had it down between two tires in my mind (based on recommendations from perceived trustworthy sources)......and then I put this up here....now I'm all confused. :confused:

You can rest easy Tricky, this is the LAST set of tires going onto this truck. When these wear out, it is time for a new truck.;)

Philscbx
07-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Since 2005, Im more impressed by how this GMC has done extreme chores at the cabin on half washed out 45 degree glacier sand/gravel hills to rehab a inaccessible portion of the beach.

I also plow snow for portions of the city, so you need to be out in the worst of it.
For an aggressive tread - they are quiet.

(based on 1851 reviews) 4-1/2 stars of 5

BFGoodrich $142
ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO E RANGE (http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/off-road-tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko/tire-details)
http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirepreviews/

http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirepreviews/bfgoodrich_allterraintako_rwl_detail_386x386.jpg

occva
07-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Check out mastercraft tires, these are less expensive and turning out you be very good tires for tire wear and noise. I would highly recommend these.

+1 love my mastercraft courser tires

thatsmrmastercraft
07-03-2012, 10:58 AM
I have General Grabber AT2's on my F150. I can't say enough about these tires. They wear well, provide great traction in all conditions, and are reasonably quiet for an AT tire. They offer the same performance as BF Goodrich Radial TA/KO at $100 less per tire.

Just my :twocents:, but what do I know.:rolleyes:

captain planet
07-03-2012, 11:07 AM
I have General Grabber AT2's on my F150. I can't say enough about these tires. They wear well, provide great traction in all conditions, and are reasonably quiet for an AT tire. They offer the same performance as BF Goodrich Radial TA/KO at $100 less per tire.

Just my :twocents:, but what do I know.:rolleyes:

How is the ride considering they are an AT tire?

captain planet
07-03-2012, 11:11 AM
One time I put BF Goodrich Radial Long Trails on a Ranger I had. They were truck tires, not passenger tires. They wore like iron. They had 55K on them when I sold the truck and had easily another 20K to go.....but the truck rode like a buck-board. I loved the longevity, but didn't care much for the ride....and I was in my late 20's at the time so I didn't care much.

Most of my confusion at this point is I'm being told that I'm only going to get around 45K out of whatever tire I get on my suburban regardless of the tread life rating. I'm guessing that it is because it weighs around 6K lbs?

FWIW, I rotate every 6K miles.

JohnE
07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I'd listen to Mr Mastercraft on this topic.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-03-2012, 11:46 AM
How is the ride considering they are an AT tire?

Fantastic. I run the 265/70R16 because it provides a softer ride with a max load at 44 psi than some of the other sized only offered in 10 ply.

Thrall
07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
You can air down the tires for a good ride. FOr longevity get D or E rated tires for your 1/2 ton and adjust air pressure accordingly.
I've typically got good mileage and performance out of BFG AT's but they typically also req alot of weight to balance.
I've been most impressed with Pro Comp tires in the last 10 years. I've had several different tread patterns and they all wear well for what they are.
I'd reccomend Pro Comp AT's. Smooth and quiet on the road and as good fo traction as any AT tire out there, IMO. Had a set on my Dmax and they wore great. 30-35k mi on them when I sold the truck and they had ALOT of life left in them.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-03-2012, 12:13 PM
You can air down the tires for a good ride. FOr longevity get D or E rated tires for your 1/2 ton and adjust air pressure accordingly.
I've typically got good mileage and performance out of BFG AT's but they typically also req alot of weight to balance.
I've been most impressed with Pro Comp tires in the last 10 years. I've had several different tread patterns and they all wear well for what they are.
I'd reccomend Pro Comp AT's. Smooth and quiet on the road and as good fo traction as any AT tire out there, IMO. Had a set on my Dmax and they wore great. 30-35k mi on them when I sold the truck and they had ALOT of life left in them.

Too much sidewall flex to make a 10 ply tire comfortable on a 1/2 ton vehicle....especially a Suburban. Flex = heat = shortened tire life.

ncsone
07-03-2012, 12:18 PM
I just went from the BFG A/T KO to the BFG Rugged Terrain on my Toyota Tundra and could not be happier. Ride noise went way down, ride comfort went up as well as my fuel economy (both are load range E). Those BFG All Terrains are GREAT tires, but you need to be off road a pretty good amount to justify them, IMHO. I am not sure how you intend to use them.

You might look up what is recommended for your vehicle/size at www.tirerack.com and read what is recommended highest by the previous buyers. Each tire seems to have several reviews and you can get a good feel for what people like/don't like. Whether you buy them from Tire Rack is up to you.

SilviaMan
07-03-2012, 12:23 PM
I like bridgestone/ firestone tires. but I have seen that some of them don't wear really well on chevy trucks.
I am not a fan of Master Craft tires... boats yes... tires no. seen them wear terribly on many vehicles.

We started carrying "Nexen" tires. A close friend of the family was a tire engineer for General and is now working for Nexen. He suggested we take a look at them. We have had no issues with them and have been selling them for more than 3 years. Actually we have switched to the nexens on our f350. I would look at them. Normally the price is right and they wear great.

http://www.nexentireusa.com/

pmkkdx
07-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Yep, I suspected the reviews would be all over the place coming from general consumers ... everyone has their own driving styles, wants/needs, looks, etc. I grew up in the tire business as my dad (& mom) was a Goodyear Jobber (got wholesale from the factory and also used to test new styles prior to going to general public) and Farm Bureau (all other various brands) dealer for approximately 50 years (1957-2009). He used me as a test dummy for various new tires (Goodyear, General, Dayton, Kelly Springfield, Cooper, Bridgestone, Sigma, BFG, etc.) when they become available since I drove so much (averaged about 80-90k miles a year).

Going on what my dad used to ask

What type of tire/thread pattern are you wanting (pure highway, m/s, AT, more aggressive mud grip, etc.) to meet the majority of your needs?

Are you looking for more of a car (soft) ride or a light truck (stiffer) ride?

What kind of price range (low, medium, high) as that will likely determine whether you will get 20K on up to 60+k miles?

By the way, what size tire does your suburban use?

Since both of my parents are deceased and no longer have access to those prices, I have transitioned to Discount Tire for all my vehicles to get nationwide service and road hazard warranty (has come in very handy multiple times) plus free rotation & checks.

JohnnyB
07-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Goodyear Silent Armors didn't wear well on my two trucks, I think I only got about 35K out of them. I know you said you don't want to spend money on the Michelins, but I have a set on my Excursion and after almost 20K I can't even see any reduction in tread.

Ditto hear. Put these on '08 burb last fall...outstanding traction, ride and very quiet. Wearing very quickly. Got em 4 for price of 3 or would not have bought as they are pricey

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

captain planet
07-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Yep, I suspected the reviews would be all over the place coming from general consumers ... everyone has their own driving styles, wants/needs, looks, etc. I grew up in the tire business as my dad (& mom) was a Goodyear Jobber (got wholesale from the factory and also used to test new styles prior to going to general public) and Farm Bureau (all other various brands) dealer for approximately 50 years (1957-2009). He used me as a test dummy for various new tires (Goodyear, General, Dayton, Kelly Springfield, Cooper, Bridgestone, Sigma, BFG, etc.) when they become available since I drove so much (averaged about 80-90k miles a year).

Going on what my dad used to ask

What type of tire/thread pattern are you wanting (pure highway, m/s, AT, more aggressive mud grip, etc.) to meet the majority of your needs?

Are you looking for more of a car (soft) ride or a light truck (stiffer) ride?

What kind of price range (low, medium, high) as that will likely determine whether you will get 20K on up to 60+k miles?

By the way, what size tire does your suburban use?

Since both of my parents are deceased and no longer have access to those prices, I have transitioned to Discount Tire for all my vehicles to get nationwide service and road hazard warranty (has come in very handy multiple times) plus free rotation & checks.

P265?/70-16

I took over my Consumer reports with the ratings of the tires and my guy pointed out the good ones and the bad ones. He said the Michelin's (#1 rated tire) were good ones, but you would pay through the nose for them.

SilviaMan
07-03-2012, 01:54 PM
could look at reviews here or on tire rack too.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/readReviewsTire.do?pagerOffset=20&fcpr=&counter=1&ar=70&fcsr=&fcs=false&rd=16&cs=265&ra=filterTireProducts.do&pc=25353&fclr=&fcb=&sw=false

captain planet
07-03-2012, 02:08 PM
could look at reviews here or on tire rack too.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/readReviewsTire.do?pagerOffset=20&fcpr=&counter=1&ar=70&fcsr=&fcs=false&rd=16&cs=265&ra=filterTireProducts.do&pc=25353&fclr=&fcb=&sw=false

I read some of those last night. That is what muddied up the water enough for me to put this thread here to get come clarity.

There was on thing that came out of this, I didn't get the General Grabbers. A repeating theme of premature tread wear came to light.....and nobody likes premature wear. 8p

gatorguy
07-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Since 2005, Im more impressed by how this GMC has done extreme chores at the cabin on half washed out 45 degree glacier sand/gravel hills to rehab a inaccessible portion of the beach.

I also plow snow for portions of the city, so you need to be out in the worst of it.
For an aggressive tread - they are quiet.

(based on 1851 reviews) 4-1/2 stars of 5

BFGoodrich $142
ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO E RANGE (http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/off-road-tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko/tire-details)
http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirepreviews/

http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirepreviews/bfgoodrich_allterraintako_rwl_detail_386x386.jpg

How do you find that tire for $142? I clicked your links and they are all over $200 per tire.

Philscbx
07-03-2012, 02:15 PM
How do you find that tire for $142? I clicked your links and they are all over $200 per tire.
Scroll down this page (http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirebuyerwicket/home/tab/Buy%20Tires/subtab/Shop%20by%20Brands/brandsList_selectedItem/BF%20Goodrich/selPanel/tireSizeByBrandList/kwcid/g_tire%20BF%20Goodrich/brandStyleList_selectedItem/All-Terrain%20T*fs*A%20KO)
Somehow the previous link dropped the search.

gatorguy
07-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Scroll down this page (http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirebuyerwicket/home/tab/Buy%20Tires/subtab/Shop%20by%20Brands/brandsList_selectedItem/BF%20Goodrich/selPanel/tireSizeByBrandList/kwcid/g_tire%20BF%20Goodrich/brandStyleList_selectedItem/All-Terrain%20T*fs*A%20KO)
Somehow the previous link dropped the search.

Got ya, thanks. That is the price for tiny tires. I was looking for 265/70/17. They cost a bit more.

pmkkdx
07-03-2012, 03:37 PM
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/toggleShowingAllTireProducts.do?fcpr=&c=1&ar=70&fcsr=&rf=true&fcs=false&rd=16&ct=null&rc=OHCINT&cs=265&fclr=&cf=false&fcb=&sw=false

Wow, pretty amazing price spread from cheapest to highest for P265/70-16.

I have the BFG Rugged Trail on my 2500 truck (came on the truck) and they appear to be wearing like iron ... but I am off road in the pasture where I need considerable more grip, especially when wet than these offer. Of course my are LT & 10 ply (E), so I am unsure how the P would ride... I have also had the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor that I was very pleased with (again, LT 10 ply) with traction (except mud) & wear.

oxberger
07-03-2012, 04:23 PM
CP, I have the Yokohamas on my Expedition and love them. Great tread life if maintained with proper air pressure. I would put these on any truck I own and when they wear out I'm getting them again. I've had the Firestone Destinations and didn't like them at all. I have friends that have had both the Yokohama and the Bridgestone Duelers. These are my top 2 picks for replacements. My friend that have tried both said the both did an excellent job and price would depend on what they go with next time (Geolanders vs. Duelers). Get with ThatsMrMastercraft (Pete) he may be able to get you a good deal on tires since that's what he does. Actually a little surprised he hasn't jumped in here yet.

oxberger
07-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Good Lord! I started typing when I was on page 1, I finish and I'm on page 4 and Pete has already replied a few times. Dang my typing is slow.

ProStar190Fan
07-05-2012, 05:16 PM
CP, any updates? I also have Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires on my 01' Yukon and are really pleases with them. I think I am on pair four so far (Keep in mind I have 215k on the vehicle).

captain planet
07-05-2012, 06:16 PM
I went with Firestone Wilderness LE. I didn't read anything negative about them, nor did I read anything gushing over them. My guy said they were original equipment and they wear well with that vehicle. I put a pair of them on at around 48K and had to replace them around 96K, so 48K out of them wasn't bad and they ride pretty well. Been driving it for two days with them now and am pleased with the recommendation.

I appreciate all your input to this thread.

Had I had more time I would have inquired with MrMastercraft per Oxberger's recommendation, however time was not on my side this go around.