PDA

View Full Version : Crazy loading and unloading ritual

h2oskifreak
07-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I have a new to me 94 190 and factory trailer with a boat buddy. Here is the deal; The nose of the boat seems to not want to clear the boat buddy and I am worried about gel damage. I have my ski partner sit on the transom to raise the nose when loading and the same when unloading. If driver is in the driver's seat, the nose will actually go under the boat buddy when loading. When unloading if his 240 lbs aren't on the transom, it drags off hard instead of floating above it. What gives? Private ramp in a gravel pit, so it is far from exactly level or the same each time but no matter what aggle I try the issue is the same.

mcmx2
07-02-2012, 10:14 PM
On my 197 it does the same thing if the trailer is in the water to deep. Try leaving the trailer a little further out of the water so the boat rides up on the bunks further pushing the nose up on top of the boat buddy. Good luck

Todd X14
07-02-2012, 10:17 PM
If your nose dips below the Buddy or Roller if would indicate your trailer is in too deep. Depending on the degree of the launch a general rule of thumb is to show the tops of the wheel fender. Adjust the depth of the trailer into the launch form there.

kpickett
07-02-2012, 10:35 PM
94 190 works really well with fenders just out of the water. The boat buddy should line up fine.

h2oskifreak
07-02-2012, 10:59 PM
I may be too deep. I will try the fender gauge, but also wondering if my ramp is just steep and partially to blame. Very good input. I will be out again on Thurs. and let you know how I did.

broncotw
07-02-2012, 11:57 PM
I have owned three MasterCraft boats that all had the Boat Buddy! I replaced two of them and in the end NONE of them worked correctly! Lose the Boat Buddy and replace it with a nylon roller!

Problem Solved!

CantRepeat
07-03-2012, 08:31 AM
I have owned three MasterCraft boats that all had the Boat Buddy! I replaced two of them and in the end NONE of them worked correctly! Lose the Boat Buddy and replace it with a nylon spool!

Problem Solved!

Well I don't think that would solve his problem. The problem being that the bow is under the boat buddy so it would also be under the roller too.

I agree with you might be too deep on the trailer.

onejdgreen
07-03-2012, 08:55 AM
One other thing to look at is your hitch height. do you have enough drop on your receiver hitch? I had that problem with my last tow rig, but it had a 6" suspension lift and big old redneck tires...

Iskidaily
07-03-2012, 09:33 AM
+1 for too deep / too steep. If its too steep,I like the idea to lower the trailer hitch. Let us know how it works. Love that boat

pmkkdx
07-03-2012, 10:46 AM
+1 on being too deep. I used to gauge my '83 S&S by my trailer fenders based on how steep the ramp was. On a fairly flat ramp top of fender barely showing with boat rear starting to float but a steep ramp have water level between fender & tire (the air gap between top of tire and bottom of fender).

thatsmrmastercraft
07-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Ramps that are too steep are always a problem. I quit going to the lake that is only 4 miles from my house just because the ramp is a pain in the a$$.

JohnE
07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Ihave this problem on both very shallow and steep ramps. I found that loading halfway or so then either putting trailer in a little deeper or pulling forward a bit will adjust it so that I can power in and lock it in to the boat buddy.

h2oskifreak
07-03-2012, 02:10 PM
John E, I do have an unusual ramp, so that might be woth a shot as well.

ttu
07-03-2012, 02:18 PM

i sometime have to do as john does on the steeper ramps. get the boat on the bunks then lower the trailer another 2-4 inches and drive up to the boat buddy.

AZDave
07-03-2012, 02:24 PM
On my 93 if I put the trailer in so the nose does clear, I have to give it a lot of gas to get it on and off the trailer. Any concerns there? I too,use the 2 step procedure. Put in the trailer with the fenders up about 4", drive it off until the nose clears, then put the trailer in so the fenders are submerged, then drive the boat off. Reverse all that when loading. Shallow ramps are the worse for my set up.

Jason.H.
07-04-2012, 09:36 AM
My local ramp doesnt even seem steep but I still have to load my boat with the trailer very shallow. I back my trailer in pretty deep just to get the bunks wet then pull it up until the water line is just over the foot step in front of the trailer fenders. I use liquid rollers on the bunks pretty often too, it helps a lot! slides on like butta! Sorry boat is 1990 tristar 190

JohnE
07-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Just moving the trailer a little makes a big difference. A little trial and you will probably figure out what works and then it will be no problem