PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Stars & Stripes Opinions/Info?

cscook
07-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Hello,

I am looking to buy my first MC, and first ski boat actually. I would say I'm a decent skier but I don't do courses ever really, so I'm not great or too serious by any means.

I came across this 1979 Stars and Stripes MC, http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/3091896025.html

I talked to the owner and he said the previous owner checked the stringers and they weren't rotten so he covered them with fiberglass, is that sufficient or will they need to be replaced at some point still?

Also, does anyone know how the wake behind this type of boat is? I'm more interested in skiing, but occasionally my friends and I mix up what sport we're doing, so a general overview would also be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

CantRepeat
07-02-2012, 09:13 PM
I don't know something smells a little fishy here. If the stringers were not rotten then there would be no need to cover them with more fiberglass. It doesn't make any sense to do so. What makes more sense is to have soft fiberglass and and wet stringers and someone cover them up.

cscook
07-02-2012, 09:18 PM
I have only spoken with the owner once briefly, but from what they said it sounded like the previous owner was doing other work on the boat and had access to them so he enclosed them as a preventative measure. Would that make sense? Is there a way I could go about checking this when I go to look at the boat in person?

CantRepeat
07-02-2012, 09:32 PM
I have only spoken with the owner once briefly, but from what they said it sounded like the previous owner was doing other work on the boat and had access to them so he enclosed them as a preventative measure. Would that make sense? Is there a way I could go about checking this when I go to look at the boat in person?

They should never have been exposed unless they were being replaced. It's not something that is done to prevent rotting. They are always enclosed to prevent rotting. If they were open they had to be cut open.

cscook
07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Hmm, okay, I'll have to ask more questions about the stringers then. Any other info you can give me on this year/model MC? Such as the wake or common problems? I appreciate your responses so far.

Cloaked
07-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Hmm, okay, I'll have to ask more questions about the stringers then. Any other info you can give me on this year/model MC? Such as the wake or common problems? I appreciate your responses so far.Test drive it on top end. Make sure it does not porpoise at 36 - 40 MPH. My first 79 model had this issue with no resolve. It's still out there somewhere...

No questions to ask about the stringers. They are either solid or not. The seller probably won't say they are bad. It's hard to tell but you can determine this by poking and prodding, leveraging the engine around the mounts, etc. The center section of the rear floor will come out (easily) for inspection.

The 79 was a fairly nice model if you're looking at the deluxe edition. The standard model is solid, just not as frilly on the inside.

The boat was marketed as a variable plaining hull, sufficient for the three-event skiing. It has a nice slalom wake.

The previous owner may have had the insight to cover the stringers with epoxy resin if he / she found them in good shape. That is not necessarily far-fetched reasoning for that declaration. Pull the floor section and look. It's either there or it's not (the epoxy resin, as I don't see anyone putting fiber cloth when the epoxy does the trick). Disconnect the pins from the engine cover hinges and remove four screws from the rear center floor section and raise it up. Set them both out away from the boat. You'll see a lot while in there. For an added measure, run the boat without the cover or floor section and you can see if the packing is leaking and also if there are any exhaust or muffler leaks. If the seller doesn't want to do that, there may be something amiss. It's not unusual to run a boat bareback for a test drive. Remove all ski ropes and towels.

While running the engine at operating temperature (make a temporary stop and use a flashlight to closely inspect under the exhaust manifolds), inspect the heads and all around for any leaks. Proper (or improper) winterization will show it's preservation if done properly. If not, you may see leaks right out of a crack in the head or exhaust riser. Check the oil (by pulling the dipstick several times) after running to see if it looks nice and somewhat clean or if it looks milky and air-entrained. If is looks milky, water has gotten into the block and the oil pan from one of several possible sources.

Ask about the engine hours and any salt or brackish use. That trailer leaves something to be desired and without seeing a few more detaailed pictures, I'd be hard pressed to say $4,700 is a fair price. All depends on the condition and the amount of work that is required to be put back into it. Anything you add will be a sunken cost, so get a good price on the initial purchase. Taking that picture at face value, my market value indicatior says $3,500 tops. Otherwise take $4,700 plus a few more C notes and look for an 83 - 85 model.

Also while inspecting the heads and areas, look for JB Weld repairs that will look similar to the engine block or head but will look disfigured or soft like chewing gum stuffed in a crack or leak. It may be painted over but use a screwdriver to poke this area or similar looking areas. If the screwdriver sinks in, it's a crappy and useless repair putty. See the picture below for a classic JB Weld cover up.

Jerseydave
07-02-2012, 10:01 PM
It's just my opinion, but if you like that style MC and depending on your budget you may want to consider 1984-86.....no wood to deal with. Replacing stringers is pretty pricey if you have to hire someone to do it. If that '79 has the original ones, it's just a matter of time unless it was a garage queen all its life.

cscook
07-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks for all the info Cloaked! When I asked, the person I talked to said the hour meter showed 620 hours I think it was.

And Jerseydave, I am primarily looking for boats from 1984 and newer, but I found this one and it is relatively close by so I wanted to get some info and give it a chance to see if it is worth it. I'm definitely not looking to buy a boat that I will eventually have to replace the stringers on though, thats for sure.

I had a feeling the boat was overpriced, which is another reason I came to you guys. I'm not sure if I could talk them down to 3500 but I think they have had it sitting for a bit, so who knows, maybe if I determine the stringers are all set I'll be able to bring the price down.

Its also my understanding that this is a small marina I am dealing with. I believe they bought the boat from an individual with a camp nearby and they've had it the past 4 or 5 years but I'm not sure what they did with it during that time.

millpondkid
07-05-2012, 11:38 PM
I opted for the 84/85 year models because of the non wood stringers and still dressed in the stars and stripes.

03geetee
07-06-2012, 12:30 AM
1. Nice boat but just nice is all I can see right now, not nice enough for more then 3300 bucks.
2. Old boats are great because they really work well and can do alot for little money, but they are OLD boats so dont forget that. This is why I found an 83' with all glass becase that is one of the older boat issues I didnt want to deal with.

Other then that the wake is great, have some people sit in the back and use a fly high pole for some nice wake boarding. Grab a passenger and a ski and at 30 mph you wont find a nicer wake for the money. Great boats but they just arent for the turn key and go crowd, they need work to stay running right and safe but thats the fun!

JTR

ctjahn
07-06-2012, 08:28 AM
It's just my opinion, but if you like that style MC and depending on your budget you may want to consider 1984-86.....no wood to deal with. Replacing stringers is pretty pricey if you have to hire someone to do it. If that '79 has the original ones, it's just a matter of time unless it was a garage queen all its life.

They do exist if you look/wait for em (garage queens). Mine (78) was a 3 owner boat, lived in the garage except on weekends.... My only compromise is I DIDNT WANT A GREEN BOAT.... but...it has grown on me now (Esp with the newer grey interior and carpet). Lots of lookers and complements.

It all depends on what you want and what you want to do with it. (Coming from a ameteur skier but we use (USE IT) the boat for everything when ever possible - skiing, kneeboarding, hanging out, driving, swimming, etc...)

cj