PDA

View Full Version : Fuel will not stay in the bowls fo the carb?

russell.bradley
07-02-2012, 08:46 PM
I have a 84 Mastercraft S&S with the original 351W in it. The problem is since I bought the boat with this Edelbrock carb on it, is that it will not keep fuel in the bowls at all. It does not like to idle sometime either, it dies out a lot. Even after the boat is shut off after 1 minute? Does anybody have any ideas what to check for? I have exhausted my brain with this!!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Sounds like the needle and seats inside are not closing properly, prolly needs a good rebuild. Is the edelbrock a marine carburetor, if not I would replace it first with a holley 4160 then you should be good to go.

tim79mc
07-02-2012, 09:02 PM
replace with the 4160 - I tried a rebuild on my 351W and it was a pain in the ***. Looks easy, but lots of little parts - I got a 4160 and kit from SumitRacing, bolted it on and with no adjustments, it fired right up, ran great. Still running good 10 years later.

Voodoo
07-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Howdy --

I have recently experienced the same issue, amongst others, and received many great troubleshooting techniques on this forum. There is a lot of negative info regarding ethanol in fuel and the havoc it wreaks on our boats.

In an effort to solve this problem I recommend the following:

1. remove the anti-siphon valve atop your fuel tank and clean it out -- mine was very clogged.
2. replace the 3/8 flexible fuel line from the fuel tank to the engine driven fuel pump. I replaced my fuel line but in my opinion it did not inhibit fuel flow but this replacement came highly recommended (not expensive).
3. replace the fuel filter which is in-line between the fuel tank and the engine driven fuel pump. While performing this task make sure you inspect and clean out the fuel flow passages in the filter housing.
4. replace the fuel filter located inside the engine driven fuel pump.
5. disconnect the metal fuel line that connects the engine driven fuel pump to the carburetor. Then remove the fitting attached to the carb and inspect the screen located within the fitting ensuring it is clean.

I also rebuilt my carburetor. Based upon my own situation, the only thing that was guaranteed AFU was item number 1.

Many other folks with a lot more experience/knowledge than I will likely chime in -- in any case, best of luck to you.

Voodoo

Matt L.
07-03-2012, 02:27 AM
Just rebuild the Edelbrock. Heck, I replaced my Holly with an Edelbrock and she has never run better. Edelbrocks are easier to rebuild that Holly'stoo, IMHO.

Good Luck!

Matt