View Full Version : Please name this part

07-02-2012, 06:37 PM

1990 tristar 351W rear of right hand side cylinder head. The circle piece that has four wires going to it (three in picture). My clumsy self broke the voltage terminal off the bottom. What exactly is this part called. Dont know too much about these older engines, but I am trying to learn! Thank you

07-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Um...what they said below...

07-02-2012, 07:27 PM
looks like a starter relay

07-02-2012, 07:35 PM
looks like a starter relay

Otherwise known as the solenoid switch.

07-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Starter solenoid, Mark the wires, then you can take it to local auto parts and match it up, if they have a heavy duty type get that one. Should be less than $20

07-03-2012, 08:04 AM
thanks guys! yeah after messing with it last night i was going to say it seems to work like a starter relay. Il take it off when I get home and run out to try to find a new one. along with a new battery.

Matt L.
07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Looked for my old pics without success, but that looks like the starter relay to me.

Good luck! The wiring gremlins sidelined me for a very long time!