PDA

View Full Version : 93 Prostar 190/Raw Water Strainer Install....

broncotw
07-02-2012, 05:40 PM
I have researched the threads and found little information on this topic. There are some threads regarding this topic but I need some information specifically on the 93 Prostar....

I need to install a raw water strainer on my 93 MasterCraft Prostar 190.... My transmission cooler keeps getting plugged up with debris.

I would like to see some pictures from others that have installed raw water strainers and where they situated them....

It is a VERY tight fit and would love to see some how others have done this before I start cutting hoses....

I purchased the Sherwood Raw Water Strainer (1.25")....

Thanks,

langedp
07-02-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm in a similar position with my '94 190. I installed it right above the raw water intake by putting a 90 degree elbow on the intake side of the strainer. Other side was just a straight section of hose to the transmission cooler. Don't try that. Long story short the 90 elbow seems to restrict the water flow too much and my engine would overheat at anything above idle. Took me a long time to figure that one out. I changed thermostats, hoses, temp sending units, etc before I pulled the strainer off and then the engine temp was fine. I run the Sherwood strainer in my X-Star with the 8.1 liter engine and it works fine so it's not the strainer.

I will be trying again this week since I have some time off. I'm going to try some different routings with just straight fittings on the strainer this time. If I'm successful I'll post some pics. I have the LT1 engine by the way.

Philscbx
07-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Interesting - I was looking at doing the same - finding debris in oil cooler.

My Thought was going between pump and intake mounted sideways w/o elbows - or reducer fittings so site glass is always visible.
Which would be 1-1/4 ports if I recall.

What's the Opinion on this idea?

kpickett
07-03-2012, 01:33 AM
It's pretty easy. I've got a '94. Just cut the intake hose about halfway up to the oil cooler and put in the strainer. It sits at a slight angle, and it's a little bit of a tight squeeze, but it works perfectly. I don't have a picture, but I'll snap one this week, if I remember.

tommyadrian5
07-03-2012, 06:04 AM
I used a 90 degree elbow above the intake and have never had any issues.

bkblaida
07-03-2012, 12:52 PM
We have a 97 PS 205 so have a little more room. We installed with a 90 elbow directly at the raw water intake and have had no problems.

Philscbx
07-03-2012, 02:19 PM
We have a 97 PS 205 so have a little more room. We installed with a 90 elbow directly at the raw water intake and have had no problems.That's what I don't understand - is the intent to have the filter vertical ( bowl down ) with elbow?

Just straight into port from raw intake, The strainer doesn't care if on it's side, Right?

broncotw
07-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.... I am glad I am not the only one with this problem..... Attached are a few photos of the Sherwood Strainer I purchased and the space in which I am dealing with..... I look forward to seeing some of your photos... Mine has the Ford 351HO and 1:1 tranny.......

Thanks again......

kpickett
07-09-2012, 01:58 AM
Here are a couple pictures of my install.

broncotw
07-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks Kpickett! That looks like a tight fit! How hard is it to unscrew the container? Is there sufficient room?

Thanks

east tx skier
07-09-2012, 12:16 PM
A little late, but I used the 90 degree fittings on my 93 with no issues. Mine was mounted with the cup up just aft of the engine. You're right. Very tight fit on the 93. Make sure you get a good seal between the cup and the gasket. If you don't, you can get a vacuum and have some overheating issues.

kpickett
07-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks Kpickett! That looks like a tight fit! How hard is it to unscrew the container? Is there sufficient room?

Thanks

It's ok. It's a little tight, but it's a lot easier than getting off the oil filter. You just don't have to unscrew the container very often.

broncotw
07-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys! East Tx Skier -- did you utilize one (1) or two (2) 90 degree fittings?

Thanks as always...

2010Prostar197
07-13-2012, 01:09 AM
East Tx Skier....

When you say you mounted "cup up" I assume you mean it was upside down?

And if that is the case, I assume the cup always has an air pocket in it yet it still works ok?

I thought about mounting it sideways also. Just wondering if the cup needs to be full of water or not??

Thanks!!

itch2ski
07-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Here is how the PO installed it on my 92 PS205.

east tx skier
07-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys! East Tx Skier -- did you utilize one (1) or two (2) 90 degree fittings?

Thanks as always...

Hard to remember if I'm honest. But I believe I started out with one and had to order a second after I got into the install.

east tx skier
07-17-2012, 04:57 PM
East Tx Skier....

When you say you mounted "cup up" I assume you mean it was upside down?

And if that is the case, I assume the cup always has an air pocket in it yet it still works ok?

I thought about mounting it sideways also. Just wondering if the cup needs to be full of water or not??

Thanks!!

I never thought of it as being upside-down, but looking at the wording on the base, yes, upside-down. My Ski Nautique came from the factory with one installed as standard equipment in the same orientation. Yes, any and all air bubbles at or above the screen level presumably are worked out before the water sucked into the raw water hose hits the water pump.

psychobilly
07-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Here's my install in my Maristar 240SC and that's a BB454 so it's tight.

Oh and this is an old pic for you OCDers like me and that bilge is clean now and the spark arrester cover is on correctly too. lol

broncotw
07-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Itch2ski how does that configuration work out for you? That is the way I was planning on installing mine!

Thanks,

2010Prostar197
07-18-2012, 10:09 PM
I tried to get a response out of Sherwood (contact form only----no phone number) to get their take on it but no response.

The original filter that came on the 2010 was an odd looking thing with a clear top cover and the inlet coming in at the middle and the outlet on the bottom. There was always air in the container so I guess the Sherwood should work upside down just as well.

You would think if it was critcal as to mounting and functionality that there would be a disclaimer in the box that said mount cup down only etc.

As always, thanks for everyones pictures and input!!

east tx skier
07-18-2012, 11:36 PM
I tried to get a response out of Sherwood (contact form only----no phone number) to get their take on it but no response.

The original filter that came on the 2010 was an odd looking thing with a clear top cover and the inlet coming in at the middle and the outlet on the bottom. There was always air in the container so I guess the Sherwood should work upside down just as well.

You would think if it was critcal as to mounting and functionality that there would be a disclaimer in the box that said mount cup down only etc.

As always, thanks for everyones pictures and input!!

Mine's been running that way on my current boat for fourteen years no problem. I can assure you that orientation of the cup is not an issue.

Skyskiguy
07-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Itch2ski how does that configuration work out for you? That is the way I was planning on installing mine!

Thanks,

I'm the PO. It was installed already when I bought it - 4 years old. Worked great. Never had a problem and saved the tranny cooler from getting plugged up a few times. I'm thinking I want to install one an the X30. I loved the fitting to hook up the garden hose as well!

broncotw
07-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Awesome! Thanks guys! Great feedback...........

CCAnderson
07-19-2012, 04:34 PM
There are serveral pros and cons but the position of the strainer does't matter at all. the issue is how much gunk do you want falling into the bilge when you have to open it?

Before raw water pump
Pros:

keeps crap out of the pump
a place to put it

Cons:

clogged strainer starves pump and burns up impeller
requires 90 degree elbow which restricts water flow and may not be able to pick up enough water
strainer restricts water flow and may not be able to pick up enough water

After raw pump
Pros

no restrict in water flow to the inlet of the pump

Cons

little room to mount the strainer
does not protect raw water pump

I personally would like to see it before the raw water pump. If you have to use an elbow try to find a long radius elbow which has less restriction than a standard "short" radius elbow.

broncotw
07-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Pictures of my install.......

east tx skier
07-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Hang on to the gasket when you remove the cup. It will probably dump a lot of water when you remove it.

broncotw
07-20-2012, 12:51 PM
I agree! Really not too excited about where I had to mount this strainer but it was really the only option......

east tx skier
07-20-2012, 03:30 PM
I agree! Really not too excited about where I had to mount this strainer but it was really the only option......

They will fit behind the motor above the transmission. It's a tight fit for sure, but it will fit.

Nothing wrong with the location you chose though.

broncotw
07-20-2012, 04:01 PM
We will see! I am taking her out tonight!

CCAnderson
07-20-2012, 06:33 PM
cup up or cup down does not matter. the air pocket will always be there because you are pumping water not air.

Philscbx
07-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Pictures of my install.......Who's strainer is this - it looks like it has a rather fine mesh screen - maybe doesn't have to be that restrictive.
The oil cooler has 1/4" holes and stops the weeds.
A sensor alert wouldn't be difficult on the raw line to pump in the strainer.

2010Prostar197
07-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Sherwood makes them and they can be found at many places. Does a great job keeping junk out of the engine.

I also use a flow alarm that Aqualarm makes and I have it hooked up to a siren buzzer.

Definitely gets your attention when the impeller bites it...and much better than the temperature sensor that doesn't work well without water flowing over it.

Philscbx
07-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Sherwood makes them and they can be found at many places. Does a great job keeping junk out of the engine.

I also use a flow alarm that Aqualarm makes and I have it hooked up to a siren buzzer.

Definitely gets your attention when the impeller bites it...and much better than the temperature sensor that doesn't work well without water flowing over it.I like the sound of that - Also very True about dry/steamed sensors - Thanks

east tx skier
07-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Who's strainer is this - it looks like it has a rather fine mesh screen - maybe doesn't have to be that restrictive.
The oil cooler has 1/4" holes and stops the weeds.
A sensor alert wouldn't be difficult on the raw line to pump in the strainer.

I think mine is finer than the oil cooler. Like this ...

http://lghttp.13784.nexcesscdn.net/8068F8/mage/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/S/H/SHW14214-LRG.JPG

Philscbx
07-28-2012, 06:50 AM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=81647&stc=1&d=1342545191Is the raw water pump in front of engine - or behind it - or is the strainer after the cooler?
I've made up my mind to filter the cooler.