PDA

View Full Version : 1990 tristar 220

snuffer123
07-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Help I am having a problem with low performance. I have a 454 indmar carb has been overhauled and bench flowed. New plugs and wires timing has been checked. Compression test all cylinders were equal. I have very little low end and revs limit out at 3800. Throttle linkage has been checked to make sure it is opening completely. Prop is a 13 x13 four blade. The boat is new to me a year ago I amvery familiar with big blocks from indmar but not with the tri star 220. If anyone can help Iwould be very appreciative.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-02-2012, 04:39 PM
First thing that comes to mind is bad distributor advance springs. When you said timing was checked, was it checked to see how far it advanced and at what rpm?

Fuel supply. Clogged fuel filter, bad supply line or low volume fuel pump could cause this.

Have seen bad coils cause this. Points or electronic ignition? Dist cap & rotor condition?

snuffer123
07-02-2012, 05:08 PM
First thank you for yourresponse. I have checked the the timing and the advance. It has new fuel filter that is a micro filter. It has been very hard to get info for the engine. I would like check the timing but all I have is indmar teeling me the timing should be 8 before with 24 total advance.

TRBenj
07-02-2012, 05:47 PM
24 degrees of advance, or 24 degrees of total timing?

base + advance = total

24 advance sounds about right- 24 total sounds way low. Total should be around 34 or so, and it should be all in by 3000 rpm.