PDA

View Full Version : Idle speed

ctjahn
07-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Got pulled over this weekend for making a wake in the channel....(slow no wake zone). How fast (or what rpm) does your boat idle? Does it make a wake? (Specifically for the folks with old boats with 351's).

Also had a full body cavity search.... Was told the under-seat extinguisher needs to be accessable at all times and under the seat wasnt accessable enough? (I have been boating since I was 12 and never heard that one).

Luckliy just two warnings... but still bothered me.

Cj

SilviaMan
07-02-2012, 02:07 PM
They will make a bit of wake in idle.
Only solution I know of is.... idle, neutral, idle, neutral, etc. It sucks when your on a really picky lake.

oxberger
07-02-2012, 02:09 PM
X2 what SilviaMan said. My '85 in gear throws a small enough wake that if in a no wake zone with other boats would attract attention.

JimN
07-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Got pulled over this weekend for making a wake in the channel....(slow no wake zone). How fast (or what rpm) does your boat idle? Does it make a wake? (Specifically for the folks with old boats with 351's).

Also had a full body cavity search.... Was told the under-seat extinguisher needs to be accessable at all times and under the seat wasnt accessable enough? (I have been boating since I was 12 and never heard that one).

Luckliy just two warnings... but still bothered me.

Cj

What's the idle speed when you're in neutral? It's supposed to be about 700RPM. .

Fire extinguisher under the dash is a better place. Can't see it when it's under the seat

BrooksfamX2
07-02-2012, 02:46 PM
My X2 idles at about 600-700rpm and puts out no wake (no ballast). I can "cruise" through the no wake zone at 1000rpm with no more than a ripple. Prop pitch will be a factor also for speed/rpm.

ctjahn
07-02-2012, 02:47 PM
What's the idle speed when you're in neutral? It's supposed to be about 700RPM. .

Fire extinguisher under the dash is a better place. Can't see it when it's under the seat

Sounds about right. 700 rpm (its more than 500 but less than 1000)... but I didnt really take note of it. I just know I cant really get it to idle much less as it will die... I am thinkin 600rpm...

I just moved it to in front of the drivers seat (under my thighs; will give it a shot).

Thx everyone!
Cj

Voodoo
07-02-2012, 02:59 PM
My owners manual, '87 ProStar (351) says that the idle, in gear, should be 600. My boat puts out more wake at idle than at 30+mph. I definitely, when necessary, must use the old idle-neutral-idle trick that was previously mentioned. Good info on the fire ext. location as mine was under the observer seat in a bag.

Voodoo

ctjahn
07-02-2012, 03:04 PM
My owners manual, '87 ProStar (351) says that the idle, in gear, should be 600. My boat puts out more wake at idle than at 30+mph. I definitely, when necessary, must use the old idle-neutral-idle trick that was previously mentioned. Good info on the fire ext. location as mine was under the observer seat in a bag.

Voodoo

Yea, when I explained to the police it doesnt go any slower they seemed to disagree... I explained i would be happy to let them try it... then later in the conversation "well, how fast does it go?".... I explained it does 39 (as of that day; 1 mph below the lake speed limit) but I am still working on tuning). :D

SilviaMan
07-02-2012, 03:04 PM
My extinguisher is mounted to the front of the drivers seat base. Never had an issue. (knocking on wood)

(addition) I know that my boat doesn't handle very well going less than idle speed, I think maybe that speed it to keep it handling properly.

76S&S
07-02-2012, 03:12 PM
My extinguisher is mounted to the front of the drivers seat base. Never had an issue. (knocking on wood)

(addition) I know that my boat doesn't handle very well going less than idle speed, I think maybe that speed it to keep it handling properly.

When I had the 76, I moved the extinguisher from the seat base to the ski pole. Easily assessible and visible.

The water police would hate that it is behind the passenger back rest on the '02.:(

oxberger
07-02-2012, 03:28 PM
In my '85 I keep it mounted (ie. wedged by anchor and life vests)under the dash just behind the observers seat, it's somewhat visible and easily accesible. I got pulled over a few years back and when they did the safety check they couldn't see it, they were about to ask about it as I pulled it out quickly without having to get up or move in my seat. They were a little surprised. I like the mounting on the pole though. I may have to move mine to that location.

ctjahn
07-03-2012, 05:15 PM
I was tempted to get an old halon system from a racecar with remote nozzles... (they are all switching to less caustic stuff... so price is pretty cheap on a full but used one) And have a bottle mounted next to the battery with a small remote pull/activation switch...

Thought it would be cool... but then decided it was too much work...And it would be better to move the location of the current bottle with two screws, and use the damn boat rather than work on it...

cj