PDA

View Full Version : Hard to turn wheel on X45

AZX45OD
07-02-2012, 01:43 PM
My 2012 X45vdoes not have the hydraulic steering. I notice that when I am turning while under power (especially turning right) it is very hard to turn the wheel. I mean I have to take both hands and crank that wheel to get it going right. It takes a lot of effort. Significantly more than my 07 X30. The dealer checked and re-lubed everything and said it is a big boat with a big rudder-which is true. Do others experience the same thing? How many of you with the bigger boats have hydraulic steering?

Heelgrad
07-02-2012, 01:59 PM
That's a bummer but hopefully they get it resolved for you. Mine has the 6.2 with the hydraulic steering so I haven't had any of these issues. When I test drove a 45 with the 6.0 it didn't have the hydraulic steering but I don't remember it being hard to steer at all. Hope it gets worked out for you.

Hrkdrivr
07-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Same setup on mine. How's the steering when you're sitting still? Mine at rest is VERY light, in fact you can spin it and it will run to the stop if you don't grab it. But at speed it's pretty heavy. If it's tight at rest you might have issues.

AZX45OD
07-02-2012, 03:10 PM
its not tight when going slow, only when doing "power turns" (like pulling a tube) or at speed if you're in a hurry to get back to your boarder.

I dislike pulling tubes anyway, but the kids sure enjoy it in the afternoon when the water is rough-that's mainly when i notice it.

kgrove
07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Tight steering is frequently corrosion in the steering cable. I don't know how to check for it as I'd hate to replace the steering cable and find out that wasn't the problem.