PDA

View Full Version : Need Coil for 351W

DH9441
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Does anyone no where I can pick up a coil for my 85 351W? Im still running points but the PO removed the external resistor. That said, Im trying to locate a coil that has a built in resisitor that is sold locally as Im want to go out in the boat Wed and don't have time to order one from Skidim.

Also, what temp should this boat run normally? Im getting 170 with a new impeller.

Lumbergh
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
In my research I found the NAPA IC64SB is used as a replacement coil that does not require the ballast resistor when doing the electronic ignition upgrade.

Call skidim on thermostat, I believe 143 is standard, 160 is optional.

oxberger
07-02-2012, 01:48 PM
You're running a little hot. I run the 160 thermostat and mine rarely will go above that and that is only when we are pulling multiple skiers long distances. I check your raw water screens to make sure there's now junk coming into the cooling system. You should be able to get a replacement resistor at any auto parts store. I haven't researched it, but Lumbergh apprears to have done your school work for you. Good luck and we hope you get what you need before Wednesday.

DH9441
07-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Where are the raw water screens located?
Thx, but Lumbergh NAPA IC64SB coil is for when doing the electronic ignition upgrade. Im running points.

Lumbergh
07-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Where are the raw water screens located?

Pull the hose(s) from the transmission cooler, there are screens there that get clogged with junk (weeds, FOD, etc)

DH9441
07-04-2012, 10:31 AM
I found a coil with internal resistor thats' supports points at westmarine....in stock at my local store.

I checked the cooler both ends.... clean as a whistle. So not sure why Im running warm. Maybe the timing is off.

woodnnn
07-04-2012, 06:03 PM
170 is fine. That's a great engine temp. 160 is too cool I think. Look at the temp you car runs. If the engine never get warm then there are lots of other issues that could happen later in the engines life. Leave it. Its fine

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2