PDA

View Full Version : steering "pop" then little ability to steer

helton333
07-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Someone got a thought: 2003 PS 205V, this weekend while tubing, steering just "popped" then we lost 90% of ability to steer. I can still turn it SOME but have to turn the wheel all the way right or left to get just a little turn. Cable, or the rack system or both? Boat only has 200 hours, but I felt the steering was a little gritty at times. Is this a do it yourself? Looks like the cable and rack all need to be done together - don't see a nut or other way to just replace one of the other -

Thoughts??? thanks guys.

76S&S
07-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Steering cable; it's a DIY project but a bit of a pain. Tie a rope to your old cable as you pull it out and use it to assist getting the new cable in.

helton333
07-02-2012, 10:55 AM
is the cable and rack system all one piece now? Found one on skidim but appears to be all one unit - http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1152

petermegan
07-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Never had that sort of steering problem, are you sure it is not something else at the rudder end? It could be your rack and pinion has stripped, but have you checked the rudder end as you turn the wheel?

helton333
07-02-2012, 11:17 AM
also, how do you pull the rack through with a rope? I assume the cable has to go through some "eyes" that are likely laminated under the gunwall? Does seem kind of like a pain...

helton333
07-02-2012, 11:20 AM
it's all one peice, the rack and cable - you have to replace them both it appears. it is likely the rack, since it has some steer, but it all has to (and probably should be) done at the same time - i think...

Hrkdrivr
07-02-2012, 12:15 PM
I just learned a little about this when I dropped my rudder...

The rudder shaft comes through the bottom of the boat (duh) and it's keyed into the steering collar, kinda like a prop on a tapered prop shaft. When I loosened the steering collar, a little steel key, about 1/2" by 1/4" by 1/4" popped out of slots on the rudder shaft and steering collar.

Maybe the collar loosened up enough for the key to work its way out?

I'm at work otherwise I would post some pictures. Hope this helps because it it's an easy fix, if you can find the key!

helton333
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
I can check it, but I felt the pop and heard it under the dash, so thinking it is the rack.