PDA

View Full Version : X45 Shopping 05-08 Models, Need Engine Advice

DBrown2
07-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Looking for some information on what you have and are you happy with it. My general use will be wakeboarding, surfing... light sking since I know its not the best to do behind. I have found 3 in my area, and the good part is. One has the MCX, One with a 6.0, and then the Big 8.1. I usually have 3-5 people all the time with me. The price range on the boats are from 05-7 models ranging from 42K to 55K.

My 8.1 experience is from Chevrolet Trucks, it drinks the gas, pulls a house, and long term the motor will need work. But I know this upgrade cost the most new.

My 6.0 again in a Truck, not as bad on gas, runs for ever, and still pulls strong.

The MCX is in my X10 but yet needed prop upgrade to really do much surfing due to the amount of weight I fill with, in addition to stock setup.

The reason for the upgrade, more space, and for people to stop walking on the freakin sundeck. But I dont want to be drinking tons of gas, all day.

Thoughts? on your X45 with these engines..

Mastercraftdave
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
We ordered our X45 with the 6.2. On a big boat like this I couldnt imagine having a small engine like the MCX. With the bigger engine you will never have to worry about changing a prop or being under power. ITs better to have more power than not enough. Plus it will help with resale of the boat.

NatesGr8
07-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Don't get the MCX, i'd recommend the 6.0 or 8.1. We have the 6.0 in our 45 and it does everything we need it too both heavily loaded and unloaded. That being said we did upgrade the prop (do the rudder too if it hasn't been done already, for 05's). I believe some people have claimed the 8.1 does the same if not better on fuel than the 6.0 while boarding or surfing.

Hrkdrivr
07-02-2012, 10:33 AM
We have the 8.1 and I've never regretted spending that money, except when I'm trying to work around that big bock...haha.

willyt
07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
a friend said this once...
i've never heard anyone with a large motor say "man, i wish i had a smaller engine"

Hrkdrivr
07-02-2012, 12:07 PM
a friend said this once...
i've never heard anyone with a large motor say "man, i wish i had a smaller engine"

If some (power) is good, more is better and too much is just right!

DBrown2
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
How does the fuel consumption compare with the different engines?

prostar205
07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
While I don't have an X-45, I do have the L-18 engine in my 2002 X-30 and absolutely LOVE it. I couldn't (and wouldn't) go any small than the 6.0L in an X-45. My preference would be the L-18.

AZX45OD
07-02-2012, 04:15 PM
I had the MCX in my X30 and we burned between 4.5-5 gallons per hour. The number was closer to 4 for just boarding, and closer to 6 for surfing/tubing.

In my 6.0L Ilmor X45 we are burning closer to 6 gallons per hour, and probably more for tubing/surfing

AZX45OD
07-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Aside from fuel consumption, the prior MC dealer here in AZ would only order the X45 with the 8.1. He felt it was underpowered otherwise, especially at elevation. I was wanting a 6.2, but the X45 I was able to deal on had the 6.0. I have been very pleased with the motor and the power despite my initial concerns.

You can do a search on here as there are a number of threads about fuel consumption. the consensus is that the 8.1 uses about the same or even less fuel than a smaller engine because it is not working as hard. I have not been able to verify personally.

BMcD
07-02-2012, 09:56 PM
DBrown,

We have an '06 X-45 with the 8.1L and LOVE it. It sounds like you do about the same as us with regard to watersports. We wakeboard 2-3 times a week and surf once a week. We seldom have less than 3 or more than 7 people aboard. With 90 gallons in the gas tank, stock ballast + an extra 800#, the performance is still excellent and the surf wake is unreal.

I understand that gas consumption complaint, but I can't imagine what I would burn if I didn't have the big block. The 8.1 doesn't have to work as hard as the MCX or the 6.0 when the boat is loaded. Interestingly, even after a long weekend out on the water, I have never returned to my dock thinking "damn this thing burns fuel."

I hope that helps,
BMcD

Day1 (http://www.Liveday1.com) wakesurfers

AZX9
07-03-2012, 01:47 AM
Aside from fuel consumption, the prior MC dealer here in AZ would only order the X45 with the 8.1. He felt it was underpowered otherwise, especially at elevation.

I have heard Jim say that same thing. I think he had other motives in that decision to equip every boat with an 8.1. He seamed to load every boat with any and all options to raise the margins and sales. Maybe not, but that's the way I saw it.

TN X-45
07-03-2012, 08:32 AM
I will weigh in on the MCX. I have one. I re-propped to the the OJ 5 blade and primarily surf with some wakeboarding. For surfing I load it down and have no problems. Same for wakeboarding, although I don't add a ton of extra ballast for that. It can feel sluggish with a ton of people on it, but that is the only time. I was told by someone at MC that the MCX has the same "power curve" as the LY6, it may miss some of the top end. Not sure how true this is.

AZX45OD
07-03-2012, 12:38 PM
I have heard Jim say that same thing. I think he had other motives in that decision to equip every boat with an 8.1. He seamed to load every boat with any and all options to raise the margins and sales. Maybe not, but that's the way I saw it.

I hear you. Anytime I see a '45 loaded to the gills with aftermarket, auto flag, etc, I know exactly where it came from...Of course, I'd like to own one...

endl
07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Yeah I heard the 8.1 was originally 12k just for the dealer upgrade. The 6.0 was 6k or so I believe. Remember the base engine was the 310 HP.......... Back in 06 100k wakeboard boats were not the norm. If you loaded them up you had a very expensive boat. Now not so much.

I also have never really had any power problems with my MCX. It did feel a little sluggish at times with a boat full of people and full ballast and so I did the same and puth the Acme wake/surf prop and it made a huge difference. There used to be some power curve graphs on this site that maybe someone can dig up. Any gear heads have any good info on the prop chage numbers?

WakePowell
07-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I have owned X-45's with the 8.1 and 6.0. While the 6.0 in my current boat is adequate the 8.1 performed better and was more economical. The higher torque at lower RPM's I believe made the difference.

The MCX would be working too hard in an X-45 in my opinion.

cpr05xtr
07-03-2012, 06:10 PM
not that i have driven behind the x45 but have to be honest i have the 8.1 in my xstar and i have been in my buddies boat with the 6.0 and it took forever to get it to plane in his boat with 6 people and gear while we had 8 people and gear in my boat and i only had to half throttle to get it to plane. just my 2 cents. love my 8.1. i dont mind putting the gas in it, its kind of the penalty for owning a boat.

prostar205
07-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I know that when I bought my X-30 with the 8.1L engine used from the Portland dealer, my local dealer (Copes) said its going to cost me an arm and leg to fill it with gas. My response was "who buys a boat based on fuel economy?" That pretty much ended that conversation.

I figure if you can't afford the gas, you probably can't afford the boat.

scott023
07-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Don't get the MCX, i'd recommend the 6.0 or 8.1. We have the 6.0 in our 45 and it does everything we need it too both heavily loaded and unloaded. That being said we did upgrade the prop (do the rudder too if it hasn't been done already, for 05's). I believe some people have claimed the 8.1 does the same if not better on fuel than the 6.0 while boarding or surfing.

The 8.1 gets substantially better fuel consumption than the 6.0. We have compared fuel usage of four 45s, two with the 6.0 and two with the 8.1, and there is no comparison in the usage. The big block uses an average of four gallons per hour less.

DBrown2
07-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the responses, Test drive of the 8.1 is this weekend. I have noticed this season in my X10, since I added more Ballast to the stock setup about 1200-1300 more. The boat is sluggish, and is drinking more fuel while surfing, or pulling tubes. Yes I pull tubes for our Church Youth group... I was looking into changing props and thought why not just change boats.

The fuel costs isnt a issue per say... I just have been around buddies with old school Big Block jet boats that drink the fuel, so was curious if this 8.1 was the same.

jafo9
07-05-2012, 04:00 PM
I was looking into changing props and thought why not just change boats.

i don't think the boss would buy that argument.

Sampson
07-08-2012, 01:58 AM
I've had 3 X45s - first one had the MCX - don't do it. Very sluggish out of the hole and you will regret it. Second one had the 8.1L - had to replace with reman after 200 hours and drinks gas like crazy. Apparently they stopped making the 8.1L so if you ever have any issues it may be difficult to find a replacement block or cost a lot like it did me. Just got last week the 2012 with the 6.0L. Love it so far. Haven't noticed any lack of power and efficiency is much better. 6.2L would be a great choice as well - just didn't see the benefit for the additional cost.

Good luck.