PDA

View Full Version : Raw Water Pump Removal Help

Meeker
07-02-2012, 07:06 AM
2004 X30 with the MCX. Noticed a good leaki coming from the body of the raw water pump, not just the cover. Read a bit on here and decided to just replace the entire pump instead of trying to replace just the seal. Removed the three Allen head bolts and the bolt to the bracket.
Pump will not release from the pulley. Got a 2x4 and hammer and have hit it from top, bottom, sides. Soaked with PB Blaster. Hit on it some more and raw pump released from shaft, just leaving the shaft and base still stuck to the pulley. Glad I decided to replace the whole pump as the bearing fell apart and were all rusted up when the pump released from the shaft.

I sprayed more PB Blaster and am letting it sit overnight. What else do I try? I haven't tried heat yet as some have said not to heat due to rubber seals on harmonic balancer. Just try more hitting from all directions? 300 hrs fresh water boat so I'm a bit surprised how stuck it is.

Thanks

gstringlover
07-02-2012, 09:41 AM
use a small pry bar once all bolts are out,

Meeker
07-02-2012, 11:13 AM
I'll see what I can do, but there's not really much to pry on.

mikeg205
07-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Any pics? does it look like there's galvanic corrosion between pump and balancer? maybe drill into rear plate of raw water pump - use a drill with collar to limit depth...then tap the hole...put a bolt in and hopefully it would pop off. This was an idea from an engineer friend of mine.

gstringlover
07-02-2012, 01:01 PM
you can do it bud,, i just did a clients last night,, if u work it , it will come off,,

Meeker
07-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Alright fellas. Going out now to give it a shot. I'll try more banging and prying. If that doesn't work, I'll try the drill and tap. That's a great idea.

Thanks

Meeker
07-02-2012, 04:44 PM
More banging and it finally came. Thanks for the help.