PDA

View Full Version : PerTronix or Prestolite

bdemare
08-25-2005, 12:14 PM
I want to convert my ignition, but I am not sure to which one to use. The pertronix ignitor 2 has an adjustable dell, the prestolite is basic skidim said the prestolite is the only one they sell that would fit. Would either give me an increase in performance? Just wondering what is been working the best. I am a new MC owner and first time poster.

Thanks
Bryan

1988 Tristar 351, 1:1.5 powerslot, orginal prop.

I have been think about change the prop also to XMP OJ or Ambush 4. Any thought about that. I know that question is for needs its own thread. Just thought snice you were here i would get your opinion

Thanks again

jraben8
08-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Welcome.

The prestolite conversion made a huge difference in my old '87 prostar. I would highly recommend it - especially since it's only about $100. (My wife could even tell a difference)

You will find an abundance of extremely knowledgable people here. Enjoy the site and the new boat.

bdemare
08-25-2005, 05:50 PM
The price seems about the same for the two electronic ignitions but i think the pertronix wants a high volt coil. Thanks for the help either way i go it will be an inprovement.

PeteS
08-26-2005, 09:48 AM
I went with the Presolite in my '88, and it has worked very well. They had a bad batch of modules about a year ago, but the manufacturing defect rate seems to have been corrected -- my new module works really well, and DIM took great care of me.

Below is a thread that I started before I purchased the unit, which asks the similiar question. Best of luck:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=408

G-man
08-26-2005, 10:34 AM
I had a Prestolite for 11 years 565 hrs and no issues. It worked great

bdemare
08-27-2005, 01:04 PM
I think i am going to go with prestolite thanks for the help. I have not heard too much about the pertronixs. Thanks petes for the link that helped.