PDA

View Full Version : water in engine oil

bcd
07-01-2012, 11:33 PM
I've got a 2012 X-2. I just had a heater kit installed by my dealer to fix my lack of hot air coming out of the heater. Part of the kit was to move the hot water supply. The old supply port was capped with a rubber cap and hose clamp. I was cruising in the in the boat today, and it suddenly started losing power and came off plane. Engine temp and oil pressure were ok. No alarms were going off. When I stopped, I noticed my bilge was running. I checked my center bilge access panel, and there was 3-4 inches of water in there. I restarted the engine for a minute to see if I could find a leak. The rubber cap on my heater port was cut and leaking. I got towed in, and when I got back in my garage, I checked the oil to find it milky. I think the trans has some water in it also, but it was hard to tell from wiping dipstick oil onto a rag. I'll need to suck some out to check. I checked the oil this morning before I went out, and it was fine.

Any idea how the water got in the oil? I checked the carpet in the back along my ballast tanks, and it was dry, so I don't think there was a crazy amount of water back there.

Why did the engine lose power?

Do you think I caused damage to the crankshaft bearings? Am I justified to ask for a new engine? Short of pulling the engine and disassembly, how do you prove/disprove damage? A compression test could be done, but that would only validate the rings.

Philscbx
07-02-2012, 12:08 AM
bcd
I've got a 2012 X-2.
it suddenly started losing power and came off plane.
Engine temp and oil pressure were ok.
I checked my center bilge access panel, and there was 3-4 inches of water in there. Very Odd - such a new ship - not sure what to think here.
Unless computer saw a condition to save itself.

back in my garage, I checked the oil to find it milky.
I think the trans has some water in it also,
I checked the oil this morning before I went out, and it was fine.
Any idea how the water got in the oil? This could be deceiving - water may have settled out.
I'd open the drain to see if water is the first thing that comes out - then oil.
Save it - if that's the case. You'll want to know the facts.

Why did the engine lose power?
Do you think I caused damage to the crankshaft bearings?
Am I justified to ask for a new engine?

Short of pulling the engine and disassembly, how do you prove/disprove damage? Loosing Power - head Gasket comes to mind.
Good Oil Pressure verify s crank bearings - it's the pressure you see.
Engines usually do Ok in this condition.

A compression test could be done, but that would only validate the rings.Would also verify head gasket - where a leak down tester is preferred.

petermegan
07-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Sorry but things must be different in the States, over here I would take it straight back to my dealer to check for water in the oil, only because it has warranty written all over it. If you drained the oil there goes your evidence and tracability for the problem. Just my .02

Philscbx
07-02-2012, 12:32 AM
If you drained the oil there goes your evidence and tracability for the problem. Just my .02No need to drain it complete - true.
But I don't want to be deceived either.
Can put some water back in - video the drain process just incase.

mikeg205
07-02-2012, 08:41 AM
+1 on back to dealer....bummer on the issue...new boat and all...if under warranty don't touch anything... Keep good records of what's going on.... and +1 on engine issues on such a new ship... 3-4" of water in the bilge...don't have a v drive but surprised that level would cause water intrusion.