PDA

View Full Version : Pretty pumped for Tuesday...

mzimme
07-01-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm out in Steamboat Springs, CO... and Tuesday we're renting Steamboat Lake Marinas 2012 X15 for the day. I'm really excited to take my parents out and do some surfing, wakeboarding, and skiing. I'm hoping they enjoy it enough to actually consider a boat at some point. I'd love for them to start loving the water too.

Funny thing is, if it wasn't a MasterCraft, I probably wouldn't even consider renting the boat. Especially at 800 bucks for the day. :eek:

But... totally worth it to be on a mountain lake during vacation. :cool:

BrianT
07-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Wow!! $800 for the day.... But like you said, mountain lake during a vacation. Enjoy!

AZX9
07-02-2012, 12:41 AM
All I can say is take a wet suit and hopefully the high altitude doesn't dog out the performance.

mikeg205
07-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Don't forget to post some pic's...

mzimme
07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Water is supposedly 65-70* right now. With so little snow during the winter they haven't had a bunch of runoff, so Its helped the temps. I'll definitely post some pictures.

BrooksfamX2
07-02-2012, 11:42 AM
thats chilly, but not freezing. We are boating in 80* water at Shasta.............

mzimme
07-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Yeah, waters are 80* at the lake I usually boat on, but it was cold early in the season. I'll be fine... Could be worse, I could be in Canada ;)

mzimme
07-06-2012, 10:52 AM
So here's my review on the X15:

First, the lake we were on was really pretty. We were at Steamboat Lake which is about a 45 minute drive from Steamboat Springs, CO. Even being windy, the mountains shielded the lake really nicely and we had great water for wakeboarding and surfing. There was amazing scenery all around, and it wasn't crowded even for being right around the 4th of July. The lake was great.

Now for the boat...

I thought everything about it was great. No pickelfork front, but I don't mind that so much. With 4 people in the bow it felt like you were going to take on water whenever you slowed down, but we never did. The boat had the JL audio system in it, and it sounded amazing. It had the classic dash, which I would prefer anyway, and that was easy to read and accurate. Lots of room, great layout, plenty of storage, nice stereo. The surf wake was great with the factory ballast plus 750lbs in the lockers and 400lbs in the bow on top of the people sitting up there. When I got out to wakeboard, however, the boat couldn't seem to get on plane. We had 10 people in the boat, 4 shy of the capacity, and we weren't running any ballast while wakeboarding. The boat had the 350 in it, no surf tabs, attitude plate, etc. It was pretty "standard" equipped. I will say, if I ever get into one of the newer boats, I'll never want the 350 in my future boat. It barely had enough power to plane out with a loaded boat, and because of that the wakeboard wake was so washed out and not even fun.

So... I guess as far as the 2012 X15 goes, it's a great boat, but incredibly underpowered with the standard motor option. Still had fun though.

ttu
07-06-2012, 11:13 AM
what? no pictures!

mzimme
07-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Camera died trying to take my first shot :( I think my mom got some, I'll have to look through her camera.

ShawnB
07-06-2012, 11:57 AM
So here's my review on the X15:
So... I guess as far as the 2012 X15 goes, it's a great boat, but incredibly underpowered with the standard motor option.

I think the altitude and/or propeller might have had a lot to do with that. At sea level the 350 is a very capable motor.

jdl xstar
07-06-2012, 01:23 PM
So... I guess as far as the 2012 X15 goes, it's a great boat, but incredibly underpowered with the standard motor option. Still had fun though.

As said above, 350hp is plenty for that model around sea level. From what I've read, you loose about 10 hp every 1000 feet in elevation. So that lake was probably around 6000 feet which would mean you were pushing a good sized and loaded boat with just 290hp.

willyt
07-06-2012, 01:52 PM
With 4 people in the bow it felt like you were going to take on water whenever you slowed down, but we never did.

haha drive an xstar and you'll really get that feeling

It barely had enough power to plane out with a loaded boat, and because of that the wakeboard wake was so washed out and not even fun.

being at that altitude would definitely want at least the 6.0 (at that point why not go 6.2), but the engine, once on plane, how powerful the engine is has absolutely nothing to do with a washed out wake (unless its so underpowered your having problems holding speed). you need to go faster the more weight you have in your boat, which i'm guessing was the problem. i typically have to go 23 mph+ in my star when loaded.

at sea level, the MCX (or better the ilmor 5.7) has plenty of gittyup unless your really slamming* your boat. She does start to struggle with anything more than 3k, but by then the wake is beyond my ability level anyway

(i run about 2200lbs with at least 4 people in the boat)

mzimme
07-06-2012, 05:36 PM
The lake was probably closer to 7500-8000ft, so that probably was the problem. Even still, it'll be the big motor option when I get something newer :) A lack of power is not something I ever want to deal with.