PDA

View Full Version : my 1st ski boat, MC 197

moski
07-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I was looking at 2 MC prostar 197's. 1st one: 2008 MC 197 (promotional boat, only 100 made, all black with little red stripe). It has tower and intergrated ballast system. A negative is the 1,200 hours (they put around 275 hours in 2 months). The big thing I like about this boat is the intergrated ballast system, just hit a button. Cost around $30,000 which is another negative. The 2nd one (the one i am buying tomorrow for $23,500 after a test dirve): 2003 MC 197 white/blue with 145 hours on it. This boat has really been taken care of and looks brand new. I guess my question to everybody is, am i making the better purchase on the 2003? The pros on the 2003 mc 197: 145 hours, boat and trailer in great condition, no tower (i know tower's have a purppose, but a MC 197 boat is beautiful with out it and I will buy an extended pylon), and more cost effective. The pros on the 2008: the intergrated ballast system. I guess what I can do when I buy the 2003 boat tomorrow is get an external ballast system/fat sac next year (this will make for a little more work but oh well). My dream is for my 1st boat is get a MC 197 (a true inboard). I am earlier 30's and love to slalom ski and barefoot. I have 2 kids ages: 5 and 3. I know in the future as they get older they will want to tube, trick ski, or wakeboard. So I will want to make a bigger wake. Any thoughts on the best ballast system for my soon to be 2003 MC 197???? Any thought on my info above? I will take any advice. Thank you, moski

mikeg205
07-01-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm for lower hours on any engine... you can always add the tower later on....or change up to a wake/ski boat later on....IMO

Only negative on non-integrated ballast system is bags get in the way...IMO

03 35th Anniversary
07-01-2012, 02:01 PM
What motor/trans combo does each boat have?

swatguy
07-01-2012, 03:10 PM
You will find you can add a much better, bigger, quicker filling system by doing the ballast yourself. A fully automated system is very easy to add. Aftermarket towers can be added. While 1200 hrs isn't necessarily a lot and the engine will go bang in a few more, club/promo boats tend to be neglected on the upkeep of general maintainance . They are usually fixed when it breaks not thought of as doing preventative stuff.

If it were me a mint older one with low hours wins every day. Also once you get it you will fall victim to the needless upgrades every year and will always want to add something new. Being your first boat just in case it doesn't work out a mint older boat with low hours will sell 10 times quicker than a newer boat with 1 k on the hour meter.

JohnE
07-01-2012, 04:13 PM
If the '08 was well maintained I would choose that. Better engine,better handling, better hull (it has been tweaked since 03, new rudder design, drive by wire, etc. Then again there could be a lot more choices aside from those 2 boats. Be sure you are making the right decision

rhsprostar
07-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Depends on the motor/tranny.......what is in each one? Does the 03 have speed control?
If they are both MCX with powerslots, go for the 03. The only downside is that the 03 has the crappy 01-04 vinyl that will split at the seams SOON!

The upside of the 08 is that it has BOTH Zero off and STARGAZER already in it. If you are a serious course skier you are going to want zero off, but if you are a recreational slalom guy then perfect pass classic will be fine.
Both are awesome boats, you cant go wrong with either....amazing first ski boat.

barefoot
07-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Both boats are great boats. I'd go with the boat that has the bigger motor and tranny if it were me.

High hours on boats don't bother me as much as the next guy. If it was a team boat and they had a dedicated maintenance person, they should have all the records and it should be well taken care of.

But, than again, it sounds like you have your mind made up.

moski
07-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys for the input. But the person sold the 2003 even though we had a hand shake agreement. I was going to pay in cash/check tomorrow evening after I put it on the water to make sure it run and floats. The husband called me and said that the somebody is paying $100 more ($23,600). I told him that this boat was sold to me on Thursday, I just wanted to put it on the water before I gave the cash. You don't buy a car without test driving it do you. He understood and said he will call me back. Then the wife calls me saying she is prayed for me over the weekend and said that we are young family and to buy a boat, etc... and to buy this boat for a family. I am in my 30's, second we can make our own decisions, and third I can pick my own boat. finally I said that I guess integrity is out the window now days with some people and I hope you can sleep tonight since you are taking my family dreams away buy selling this boat when you sold us the boat on Thursday. Oh well. Thanks again for the input guys. My search continues for a MC 197. I guess upside I will look at the 2008 at the end of July. The 2008 is used on a man made 30 acre lake and they use it only in June and July. They teach kids water sports from ages 8 - 13 years old. She does not the kids in boat. I will check it out and let you know. I am not positive about the color being all black. But I do like the intragrated ballast system.

03 35th Anniversary
07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Lot's of 197's out there!

I like this one.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48198

moski
07-01-2012, 09:12 PM
You will find you can add a much better, bigger, quicker filling system by doing the ballast yourself. A fully automated system is very easy to add. Aftermarket towers can be added. While 1200 hrs isn't necessarily a lot and the engine will go bang in a few more, club/promo boats tend to be neglected on the upkeep of general maintainance . They are usually fixed when it breaks not thought of as doing preventative stuff.

If it were me a mint older one with low hours wins every day. Also once you get it you will fall victim to the needless upgrades every year and will always want to add something new. Being your first boat just in case it doesn't work out a mint older boat with low hours will sell 10 times quicker than a newer boat with 1 k on the hour meter.

swatguy or this question is for anybody. What are the good ballast systems on the market that you are talking about? What are the brands/websites? Thank you for your advice.

Double D
07-01-2012, 09:33 PM

Rossterman
07-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Moski,
Best plan is to made agreement on the purchase and then both drive it to a (preferrably mastercraft) dealer and have it drpped off and inspected. They do 50 point inspection which is very thorough and wiil be the best $200 you ever spent. They do this all the time and call it a title transfer inspection. Provide the seller a decent downpayment ($2k?) and stipulate to the dealer that they can only release the boat only if the two of you are present. I dealt with a very standup guy buying mine and had zero problems.
Also if you didn 't give him a downpayment and write out a bill of sale/deposit reciept, you dont legally have an agreement the could be enforceable in a court of law. Lots of flakes are out there that promise they will be right back and never show. Oh the joys of craigslist!

swatguy
07-01-2012, 11:18 PM
swatguy or this question is for anybody. What are the good ballast systems on the market that you are talking about? What are the brands/websites? Thank you for your advice.

Wakemakers.com is a great place to one stop shop. Pm me for the coupon code as I don't think they want it flying all over the Internet.

Fly high makes bomb proof bags in an assortment of colors shapes and sizes. They also offer the most fittings to integrate them very easily.

Some other places are buwake.com. , wakeside.com, onlyinboards.com

onejdgreen
07-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Thanks guys for the input. But the person sold the 2003 even though we had a hand shake agreement. I was going to pay in cash/check tomorrow evening after I put it on the water to make sure it run and floats. The husband called me and said that the somebody is paying $100 more ($23,600). I told him that this boat was sold to me on Thursday, I just wanted to put it on the water before I gave the cash. You don't buy a car without test driving it do you. He understood and said he will call me back. Then the wife calls me saying she is prayed for me over the weekend and said that we are young family and to buy a boat, etc... and to buy this boat for a family. I am in my 30's, second we can make our own decisions, and third I can pick my own boat. finally I said that I guess integrity is out the window now days with some people and I hope you can sleep tonight since you are taking my family dreams away buy selling this boat when you sold us the boat on Thursday. Oh well. Thanks again for the input guys. My search continues for a MC 197. I guess upside I will look at the 2008 at the end of July. The 2008 is used on a man made 30 acre lake and they use it only in June and July. They teach kids water sports from ages 8 - 13 years old. She does not the kids in boat. I will check it out and let you know. I am not positive about the color being all black. But I do like the intragrated ballast system.

I had a very similar situation happen to me a few years ago when I was looking for my first 197. :mad::mad::mad: Very frustrating. The wife calls me saying that she has prayed about it and cant sell me the boat. I call the husband, who I made the deal with, he says someone else offered another $1000 more and if I could match he would honor our deal. I told him to go pound sand, where I come from a deal is a deal. A man's word counts for something. But it all worked out for the better. I found a nicer, better optioned, 197TT for less money and didnt have to drive as far to pick it up! Keep your eyes open, you'll find one...

sethro
07-02-2012, 09:27 AM
I am betting the "integrated ballast system" that you mentioned a couple of times is only the port side tank used to balance the wake. It would be used to "simulate" the weight of an observer or fine tune the weight difference if you have a heavy driver/light observer.

I could be very well be wrong and they have added ballast bags, but I'd check into that so you're not disappointed when you go to see the boat at the end of July.