PDA

View Full Version : Loose Rudder

JB3
08-25-2005, 11:52 AM
I have a 96 PS190 and the rudder has side to side freeplay as well as front to back. Is there a bushing to replace ? Will this cause vibration? I had a small vibration issue that has increased over the last two weeks. (Motor is aligned and strut is brand new) There is a junction box where the steering cable is attached near the rudder. It moves around like its loose, but didn't see any way to tighten it. Thanks in advance for your help.

ski_king
08-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Have you greased it lately?
It is suprising how adding grease will tghten it up.

jimmer2880
08-25-2005, 12:58 PM
There are o-rings inside the box - on the rudder shaft. Maybe they are worn. If they are worn, it's probably also leaking water.

If I remember correctly, there is a nut on top of the rudder shaft that can be tightened to remove some slop.

Hope that helps. Sorry I wasn't more help.

JB3
08-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the advise. I did notice yesterday that we had a lot of water in the bilge area. Normally, I can be out all day with skiers and the autobilge never kicks in. I did grease it about two months ago, but I will do it again.

JB3
08-28-2005, 09:54 PM
I regreased the rudder using the grease fitting. What happened was it pushed out the old grease through the bottom. This did take out the front to back freeplay, and eliminated my vibration, for about 1/2 day worth of skiing. The vibration came back and I noticed the freeplay did as well. My dealer told me the rudder and/or holder may need to be replaced, depending on if both or one is worn past the limits. Is there a place to buy the rudder and holder cheaper ? Dealer wants $190 rudder and $99 for holder.

jimmer2880
08-29-2005, 05:54 AM
check out www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com)

But - I'd check the o-rings first. You may not need to replace the whole assembly if it's only the o-rings that are shot.

Dan K
08-29-2005, 08:26 AM
The rudder has a stuffing box similar to the drive shaft. You may need to replace the rope packing or just simply tighten it a bit.

jimmer2880
08-29-2005, 04:35 PM
The rudder has a stuffing box similar to the drive shaft. You may need to replace the rope packing or just simply tighten it a bit.

Dan,

thx for correcting me. I knew there was something in there. Guess I was close, but no cigar.

ski_king
08-29-2005, 04:51 PM
When I replaced my packing this spring, I was going to replace the rudder packing as well for good measure (23 years old), but I was told mine does not use the packing and it has the seals (which I assume are o-rings).

JB3
08-29-2005, 10:00 PM
I believe mine has the seals. I could not find any adjustments, just the shaft coming thru the hull and a clamp on top. Replacing the seals will be my first choice, Thanks for the help guys.